• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wbc wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am looking for a WBC hive in good/ fair condition to be used for exhibition purpose at country show`s, public demonstrations etc, can collect in the Hampshire area PM me if you can help me out many thanks Chris

Hello,

My brother is making WBC hives at the moment, we current use some of his hives they are very good.... Would you like his email?

Given you are doing demos could you not pick a better hive to do it with than a WBC which is so old fashioned it is just not funny.

Let's move forward not backwards.

PH

PH I totally agree, but I was going to show both a WBC and a National hive, the WBC only because it is the hive that the public would associate with beekeeping and draw them in to take a look, i could then explain the pro and cons of both hives i may even show a poyhive, i had planned to get the public interested and give a simple demonstration about Beekeeping nothing to involved just the basics, but i take your point about moving forward, many thanks not worthy Chris

Arrgghh...OK so WBCs aren't state of the art - BUT BEES LOVE THEM!!!! I never felt like a 2nd class citizen until I joined this forum...;(

Give me a good old WBC over a plastic poly box any day..

Hi Queens59, i would like to think there are no 2nd class citizens on this forum, we all have our different ideas and preferences making it such a great place to get help and advice and long may it continue, i would agree that the beeks i have spoken to who own WBC hives do say that the bees like them but they are not the quickest or easiest hives for the Beekeeper to operate, i personally think they look great, but i run 14x12 National hives which i find the best for me, i notice you use both WBC and poly Nationals a good mix of old and new i would say, thanks for your input Qyeens59 :) Chris

I love my old WBC hives, have a few real vintage 10 frame ones and a later example of non National box Lee hives.. all are in use + 5 modern WBC with OMF and 11 frame broods on National lines.

Also have Cedar Nationals and even a poly hive.

To keep the frame sizes in line I have not yet gone for commercialz / Dadant Langstroth etc......
Have only once had bees leave a WBC for a National.. then they were a swarm collected from a maisonette... social housing bees.. no taste!
Mind you are lovely bees and are very calm and productive!

Agree that the great unwashed recognise the WBC as being a proper beehive.........

or Skeps.......... !

Thanks Icanhopit, i totally forgot about Skeps, i have always wanted to make my own but never got round to it, perhaps after i have made up all the gear i have purchased from the various sales,and finished my honey house i will have ago, Cheers:cheers2: Chris

Drinkstone > so sorry it has taken me forever to reply, my brother had to get a finished hive so I could take some pictures for him, he built me one for my Birthday I was over the moon, bless him. Needing another project he built a few more :)

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
_MG_8348.jpg

_MG_8365.jpg

The pictures are bigger on his page, they are small here for some reason!!

jezd > What do you mean? Honest about what?

He is a plumber by trade and after making me a hive for my Birthday he made one for himself (he is not a beekeeper just interested in what we do) he then was quite keen to have a project and made some more as he all ready had the plans.

I saw someone on here wanted one in the 'for sale bit' so I thought I would offer to help my brother out... which bit is not honest?

Last edited:
well, you make it sound like a casual fing, you could have just posted a link to you website where you sell them?

as in £300 for this WBC on 'xxx' website

It is a casual thing, if you have met my brother is is very casual haha!! Bless him but good at building things and he enjoys it. I thought as saying thank you for the WBC for my Birthday I would help him sell the other few he made, he had the plans and thought he would build some more, he knows a few bee keepers of my friends, but I thought I would be helpful and ask people here, as people might want some. It is the 'for sale' bit, they are 'for sale'.

He is a plumber in the day so does not do this full time just as a hobby, he built me a kitchen cabinet once :)

It is not a website it is a blog about my experiences beekeeping and I am helping him out, I keep a blog of my bee keeping experience as people were interested and my brother asked to put his hives there.

Sorry if this offends you.

Just re read your comment... Your saying just post the link, thats boring!! No?

x

Last edited:
O riiiiight I get it, your saying you do not believe my my brother is doing this a hobby!! Haha. Shame on you! He does not have enough hours in the day to plumb and build hives, hence taking ages to reply as he had not finished it yet.

Your not very trusting!! Why?

Why would someone come on here make up a story and then post a link! I do not get it. Bit of a waste of time if you are a commercial seller, surly you just want the sale, so you would just post the link like you suggested...

:) I'm saying nothing, more trolling - I should behave

I dont know if honest, your photos being branded up just made me curious

If you still want a WBC you can have the one in my garden for free. The lifts are fine, I reglued most of the joints, as are the inner bits (whatever they are called) but the floor and legs need some work otherwise it may fall over if you try and move it. However, with a bit of work it will probably be fine for exhibitions - assuming you have a suitable vehicle to move it as it takes up a lot of room.

In a fit of madness in my early beekeeping days I bought it with the intention of actually using it with bees but it is just taking up space now. It did catch a swarm once.

Probably 60+ years old, ie. older than me.

Collect only from South Devon - as the adverts say.

Latest posts

Back