WBC Porch - drip on top?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paynes think it's the wrong way up too (the porch, not the hive) but I guess Maisemores have done it this way for ever which is why it features in their instructions.

Not built a WBC before so I'm keen to get it right. I'm glad the varroa floor came pre-assembled as that looks fiddly.

Of course the next job, after adjusting the porch to be drip-side down, is to start painting the wretched thing - is it a beekeeping law that all WBCs must be gloss white?!

i bought a lot of Paynes stuff in their sale last year, it was all labeled Maisemore

How do you reduce the entrance with the porch removed

...this year, didnt seem to need it, but I'll figure out a more aesthetic method over winter.

I have 3 WBCs and all were made prior to my owning them - all the porches have the dripper gulley uppermost...
As I had the Th0rnes catalogue out a glance at the WBC photo shows the groove on top.

As I had the Th0rnes catalogue out a glance at the WBC photo shows the groove on top.
I can't see it online on their website:
W8012-500x500.jpg

I would not be surprised if big-T don't supply the stuff for mayseemoore. Especially their thirds.

I can't see it online on their website:
W8012-500x500.jpg

Zoom in and look carefully at the top-right hand end of the porch. The end of the groove is just visible. It probably helps having seen the thing in the flesh. The long edge which fits to the lift should be shaped/angled so it gives a run-off slope for rain and a tight fit to the lift wall thus preventing unwanted water ingress to the joint. Drip grooves such as found under house window cills are there because the underside is flat and the groove stops water run back. With a sloping porch its not going to run underneath and back uphill.

Zoom in and look carefully at the top-right hand end of the porch. The end of the groove is just visible. It probably helps having seen the thing in the flesh. The long edge which fits to the lift should be shaped/angled so it gives a run-off slope for rain and a tight fit to the lift wall thus preventing unwanted water ingress to the joint. Drip grooves such as found under house window cills are there because the underside is flat and the groove stops water run back. With a sloping porch its not going to run underneath and back uphill.
You're right - it is just visible if you zoom in - weird!
The porch is pretty well horizontal when fitted so I think it would have been better underneath as per the window cill but maybe there's something obvious that I've not spotted yet?!

The porch is pretty well horizontal when fitted so I think it would have been better underneath as per the window cill but maybe there's something obvious that I've not spotted yet?!

I hope a pic of mine is attached to this post. For some reason it won't upload to my bee pics gallery today. Ignore the screw its just to stabilise my home made entrance restrictor. If not visible I will try again to post in my album gallery

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if big-T don't supply the stuff for mayseemoore. Especially their thirds.

execrable English there will leave everyone scratching their heads - Maisies have their own workshops and timber yards, I was there a week before last year's seconds sale and saw the stacks of second quality hives being churned out, Maisies hives also have a bevel on the top leading edge of their side panels to obviate the need for runners) so i would have thought it would be a right wind-up for Thornes to re-set their jigs..
So I too would not be surprised if Maisies do not get their second quality stuff from big T's (they don't do third quality either I believe).

execrable English there will leave everyone scratching their heads - Maisies have their own workshops and timber yards, I was there a week before last year's seconds sale and saw the stacks of second quality hives being churned out, Maisies hives also have a bevel on the top leading edge of their side panels to obviate the need for runners) so i would have thought it would be a right wind-up for Thornes to re-set their jigs..
So I too would not be surprised if Maisies do not get their second quality stuff from big T's (they don't do third quality either I believe).
:iagree:

I think the aim is to divert any water streaming down the front of the lifts to the sides. That way it doesn't flow over the front of the porch and pool at the entrance. Although the landing board slopes down, the water can run back (as per windowsills), especially if the wind's blowing towards the front, and collect on the flat front of the floor.

I wouldn't swear to that in court, but anything that saves me having to reconfigure my porches is as good as true as makes no difference.

With the rain we get in Wales I don't think a little groove like that would do much to stop water landing on the sloping board, a gutter and down pipe would do a better job but would totally spoil the aesthetics of the WBC hive. I think I remember seeing plans that said the porch should be planed on both ends to elevate water collecting at the leading edge.
Thanks Itma for the assembly drawings as they will come in handy when I build a few this winter
Admin, Can we have a stick where we can put all drawings and plans please

Back