Wax moth?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I think I found a wax moth pupae in one of my hives the other day. I put it to one side for later investigation and promptly lost it in the grass. Looking at pictures I'm pretty sure I have correctly identified it. I only found the one, at the top, on the edge under the queen excluder. Since that one has now gone is there anything else I should do?

Nothing else needed. They'll always be around in some capacity. Kill the larvae if you see them but no active control is necessary. They don't usually cause any problems with a healthy colony.

Start worrying when they are in your stored comb.
E

Wax moth in a colony is a sign of something about to go drastically wrong.... shrinking colony with a poorly laying queen allowing the moth to eat the outer combs that are not being "patrolled" by the hive's janitor bees, who would remove the dreaded moth.

Do not let the moth get control!

Yeghes da

Deep freeze your comb supers in the winter for a week to kill any dormant larvae. They hide between the wood gaps.

Latest posts

Back