Wax moth in honey comb sections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olriley

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
A few of my super frames were foundationless, and I cut them for sections, all looking lovely.

After sitting in their plastic tubs for a day or two I gave one to a friend who said - um, there’s a caterpillar wiggling around in there!

On closer inspection there was a telltale area towards the edge of the section where the capping of a single cell was disturbed and a little white dust and silk were evident. The creature had obviously emerged since being in the box.

A couple questions arise:

Can they be controlled or is it simply a case of looking for the warnings signs and examining any frames destined for sections with an eagle eye?

Do the grubs live only on or just under the cappings, or could they enter the honey? Presume they need O2 to survive, so no.

Thanks folks.

Freeze your cut comb before selling. It kills any wax moths plus it prevents any granulation occurring in the honey if you keep it frozen and thaw just before selling/giving away.

Thanks. Something about that was in the back of my mind, but clearly did not make it to the front.

Was going to start thread about wax moth but shall post here instead. Ive noticed tell tale signs of webbing on my observation tray under omf with 3 larve wriggling about. Opened up inspected hive to find one moth in cocoon and very small amount of cell damage. Im a little surprised as sll mine are on new frames/foundation and in new hives with new queens this spring. When reading about wax moth im aware a strong hive copes ok but if your hives are not strong is there anything that can be done for the hive to help them along? Other than spring and fall treatments.

Was going to start thread about wax moth but shall post here instead. Ive noticed tell tale signs of webbing on my observation tray under omf with 3 larve wriggling about. Opened up inspected hive to find one moth in cocoon and very small amount of cell damage. Im a little surprised as sll mine are on new frames/foundation and in new hives with new queens this spring. When reading about wax moth im aware a strong hive copes ok but if your hives are not strong is there anything that can be done for the hive to help them along? Other than spring and fall treatments.

Dummying them down so they have no combs unpatrolled

Ahh ok yes that makes sense then even if weaker they can defend/look after whats there yes? ,. So a hive thats using all frames is ok on its own. Can i slso ask are you Steve, are you talking about both drawn and undrawn unused frames, how do you manage their growth? Offer a frame at a time so they arent spread too thinly?. Sorry for multiple questions just learning and thinking of all possible scenarios.

Wax moth will take advantage of the debris on the inspection tray even if there are no grubs inside. So either leave it out or if you must leave it in for some reason you have to clean it every day

Hadnt thought of that thanks ericA

Back