Wax filtering.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that the slower the filtration rate the more likely the wax will solidify in the filter. If you have an oven with a low 75C - ish you can put the "filter unit" in and it will go quite quickly. I use a block of the mucky wax and roll it up in j cloth and knot the ends - a j cloth bag really. Put it in a teflon saucepan in the oven and when all melted lift it out and lift the "bag" up to drain out, Pop the saucepan back in and then pour into moulds. I did use coffee filters once but they were very slow.

Remember that the slower the filtration rate the more likely the wax will solidify in the filter. If you have an oven with a low 75C - ish you can put the "filter unit" in and it will go quite quickly. I use a block of the mucky wax and roll it up in j cloth and knot the ends - a j cloth bag really. Put it in a teflon saucepan in the oven and when all melted lift it out and lift the "bag" up to drain out, Pop the saucepan back in and then pour into moulds. I did use coffee filters once but they were very slow.
now that sounds like a good idea (dont drop the bag in the oven as you remove!)

do you suspend the j cloth bag above the liquid pooling in the pan or allow it to sit in the liquid?

My best ever solution: surplus-to-requirements coarse filter pads that come with the replaceable dust bags for Miele (bagged) vacuum cleaners. Wax goes through fast and product is clean yellow. I suspect these are amenable to cleaning / upcycling but I haven't tried that yet. Clearly one wouldn't want to go about buying expensive vac bags (I now use a bagless vac to save) for the purpose of filtering wax so this post is mainly to share "proof of principle" . From memory, similar filter material was used (in the good old days) on air conditioners. If anybody finds a good source, please let us all know.

Latest posts

Back