Water on hive edges advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigsy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hello,

I have a Paynes poly National ready and waiting for my first season. I have it in the garden freshly painted to disperse any fumes and to season a little.

I have it stacked with a overhanging roof, a few supers and a brood box. Having taken it apart to show someone the contents I have found that I have water on most of the facing edges around the boxes on each level.

It doesn't have damp as far as where the frames will hang.

Is this something to worry about or once the bees are in, they will fill any gaps? I can't see how water would have got in and up under the roof, maybe condensation?

Thanks,

Brigsy.

sounds like condensation to me, good luck with you new hobby.

Is it stood on the ground or on a stand! It does sound like condensation, bees in the hive will probably sort that out. If it is on the ground then there is probably a lack of air flow inside. I wouldn't worry too much, they work OK for everyone else!
E

Bees were installed in my Paynes poly about two weeks after the last coat. Unless you've used something particularly nasty they won't care.

Seen some condensation, best solution is to add bees, they'll either use it or ignore it.

One year in here, but already begining to realise that bees can be a lot smarter than me.

It's simple physics .. moisture in the atmophere will condense when there is a colder surface adjacent to the air mass .. warm air rises and the walls of the hive retain their cold temperature longer and condensation occurs. It won't happen once you have bees in the hive as they will regulate the temperature and humidity in the hive to suit what they want. Indeed, there is evidence that they will use any condensation that forms inside the hive as well as gathering water from external sources. Nothing to worry about at this stage I would suggest.

Thanks guys. I shall relax. Physics is a mystery to me however simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its on the facing edges but not as far as the frame rests it might be a bit of water seeping in under capillary action when its been raining
Once your boxes have frames & bees & stores the extra weight will draw the gaps tighter . The bees will propolise any minute gaps & make it all watertight
A ratchet strap stops the roof from blowing off but also reduces any tiny spaces between boxes

Thank you. I do have a strap to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had water in the top edge of my MB poly Lang - on the hive/roof interface.

A tea cosy - sorry insulation cosy - which is flush to the roof and overlaps the joint has removed the water.. so it's not condensation - but driven rain or capillary action.

See picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 19
If its on the facing edges but not as far as the frame rests it might be a bit of water seeping in under capillary action when its been raining
Once your boxes have frames & bees & stores the extra weight will draw the gaps tighter . The bees will propolise any minute gaps & make it all watertight
A ratchet strap stops the roof from blowing off but also reduces any tiny spaces between boxes

:yeahthat:
That's your problem. There are slight gaps that disappear with the weight of the combs and bees, if they are just stacked water will get in. Be careful with the strap, it's easy to damage something if you try to go too tight and closing those gaps may be enough to do it. I'd simply wipe it dry with a cloth (if it's still wet) when you get your bees. Once you add your bees, they will weld them together.

Thanks. You have all put my mind at rest.

Back