Wasps stripping a dead pigeon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
For those who have never seen wasps harvesting "protein" Have as look at these guys in action.

wasps1.JPG

wasps2.JPG

The same thing was happening on my lawn on Wednesday. It keeps them away from the hives, so maybe I'll encourage the neighbour's cat to bring all his kill to me.

I've never seen this! Thanks for posting, will look out for this when I'm out and about.

Wasps were trying to harvest protein from my hog roast roll today at a country fair.

All of which confirms that wasp nests still haven't matured and as such wasps haven't started properly sweet feeding yet. It would be prudent to be vigilant and keep a close eye on hives especially any that are under strength.

Reassuring to know they are not on the hunt for sweet yet! Plenty prowling below my colonies picking off rejected bees and oldies... more time for my nucs to continue building in strength. tbh, they are in good order at present with plenty of guard bees on duty.

Wow - load air rifle, poke out of upstairs window at hazel tress 10 yards away and spread 'the sods all over the grass. Wasp problem solved!!!! Yippee. Got a squirrel yesterday - first for some time. Buggers plant hazels all over the place which breaks my aged back pulling them and all the ash seedlings out.

Last edited:
All of which confirms that wasp nests still haven't matured and as such wasps haven't started properly sweet feeding yet. It would be prudent to be vigilant and keep a close eye on hives especially any that are under strength.

Sounds right. The wasps that I have at the side of the house wasn't a nest, they were foraging for insects on the willow I have there and they are still doing it. They haven't tried to enter the house yet. I hope they won't either, I suspect they will find another source when it comes to that time as long as I make sure any sniffers don't escape to let the rest know about the goodies.

One was poking his nose around my cup of tea today, let's just say it was the last cup of sweet tea it smelt

One was poking his nose around my cup of tea today, let's just say it was the last cup of sweet tea it smelt

The assumption is that the wasp was attracted by the sugar in the tea and it may well have been but it is also feasible that it was drawn by the smell of the tea itself. One of the ways that wasps find grazing insects is that they detect the smell of damaged/macerated leaves caused by the insects whilst grazing. So it may have been that your wasp was keeping your tea pest free for you!:)

Latest posts

Back