Wasps in Summerhouse full of hives etc. HELP

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

I have a problem, the summerhouse where i keep all my bee equipment is infested with wasps, i don't know if there is a nest in there, or they made a home in some hives which i then carried into the summerhouse, How/who do i call to get rid of them, most wasp control people will only use pesticides, which i guess will render the hives useless? I am a bit stuck ATM, but can't wait until they die due to the location of neighboughs etc.

Has anyone had a similar issue ?

JD

But if there is a nest in the summer house, are we talking hundreds or thousands ? Can traps really catch that many ?

JD

Hi Jonny
I have had a simmler Problem and was given this link http://www.waspbane.com/ to have a look at and have bought a few, the advice from ericA on this site was great, and also on the web page look at Bee Keeping and there is tons of advice about how to reduce the numbers in the first place.
Regards
Lorrick

If you have a nest in the summer house then the easiest way to deal with it without using pesticides is to use a vacuum. I use a Henry which allows wet vacuuming. I load the vacuum base with soapy water and then set the vacuum at the entrance to the wasp nest. Takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours to mop up all the adults. The nest can then be safely removed and destroyed. Just remember to wear ppe to be safe. If you don't have a wet vac then once you've finished vacuuming up all the wasps leave the vacuum running and seal the intake tube. Run the vacuum until the overheat cuts out. This will raise the temperature in the vacuum above 40 deg C and kill the wasps. Just be careful the vacuum doesn't catch fire and use and old one if you have a spare just in case it doesn't recover from overheating.

Kind regards,

Karol

Hi All

I have a problem, the summerhouse where i keep all my bee equipment is infested with wasps, i don't know if there is a nest in there, or they made a home in some hives which i then carried into the summerhouse, How/who do i call to get rid of them, most wasp control people will only use pesticides, which i guess will render the hives useless? I am a bit stuck ATM, but can't wait until they die due to the location of neighboughs etc.

Has anyone had a similar issue ?

JD

Suit up.
Take all your equipment outside, checking for wasps nest in any of it as you do.
Examine the summer house for a wasp nest.
If one is found get a cheap trigger spray with some diesel in it, set to jet and soak the nest. Leave until following day when all the wasps will be dead. Remove and burn or go in for fancy green disposal method.
Put your equipment back and keep the summer house insect tight.
Simples!
Wasps nests used to be poisoned with cyanide powder at the entrance and the grubs favoured as bait by fishermen but it's hard to get the poison nowadays :(

You have a bee suit?

Use it, bearing in mind wasps can sting rather more effectively than a bee.

Ascertain whether there is a nest in there or simply wasps robbing from, or attracted to, surplus bee kit.

Then take appropriate action.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but it is far past the optimum time for use of wasp bane traps, if you have that many wasps about the place.

There will only be thousands if it is a nest, btw. Not hundreds of thousands!

I think I said hundreds 'or' thousands, it was more a question as to how many could be in nest

JD

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but it is far past the optimum time for use of wasp bane traps, if you have that many wasps about the place.

There will only be thousands if it is a nest, btw. Not hundreds of thousands!

What do we think the scenario is here, there are a few wasps outside that seem to get in through several holes (its an old summerhouse) then i see loads flying against the window desparate to get out, are the ones inside just robbers trying to find a way out, or is it a nest inside and they don't know how to get out, have I just made the worlds biggest wasp trap :)

JD

If you have a nest in the summer house then the easiest way to deal with it without using pesticides is to use a vacuum. I use a Henry which allows wet vacuuming. I load the vacuum base with soapy water and then set the vacuum at the entrance to the wasp nest. Takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours to mop up all the adults. The nest can then be safely removed and destroyed. Just remember to wear ppe to be safe. If you don't have a wet vac then once you've finished vacuuming up all the wasps leave the vacuum running and seal the intake tube. Run the vacuum until the overheat cuts out. This will raise the temperature in the vacuum above 40 deg C and kill the wasps. Just be careful the vacuum doesn't catch fire and use and old one if you have a spare just in case it doesn't recover from overheating.

Kind regards,

Karol

As has been said earlier, READ this post, Karol is "our resident" wasp expert so don't ignore his advice. He designed and produced the traps you are buying but as has Rab said too late for them now.

Put on a beesuit or two and find out what's going on, then form a plan to sort it out. Move the hive parts outside, they should stand the weather, and you will have a clearer picture of what's going on. If you have a nest, sort that via Karol's route or a can of foam killer from a local supplier, but you need to find out what you have.

What do we think the scenario is here, there are a few wasps outside that seem to get in through several holes (its an old summerhouse) then i see loads flying against the window desparate to get out, are the ones inside just robbers trying to find a way out, or is it a nest inside and they don't know how to get out, have I just made the worlds biggest wasp trap :)

JD

I suspect you have the same scenario that I have every year. No matter what I do, wasps get into my bee equipment store shed but struggle to get out. Eventually they clean up any food sources and stop bothering to get in. It is just like an enormous wasp trap.I figure if they are in the shed, they are not hounding my bees.
Cazza

Just spotted that a good colony has been wiped out by wasps. Have cut entrances down on others and put glass in front of another hive they are looking at. They are still in and out of the wiped out colony. Tried moving it away but then they just started investigating the neighbouring hives, so have left it in place. Better ideas?

Latest posts

Back