wasps in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Wondered if anyone has any videos of what wasps get up to when in a hive ?

No videos but I watch through the clear crown boards when one gets trapped. Frankly it looks like a member of the SAS against Dad's Army! The bees get them in the end but it takes a few of them

Not really on the same topic ,However.
On inspecting one of my hives last week I happened to notice a wasp was stuck (Deceased) on some foam sponge that I left as an entrance reducer.
As I removed the said wasp it would appear its feet were secure in the foam which made me think why was it stuck ?
Do wasps feet differ from bees feet ? so making it difficult for them to cross foam (or certain materials) and if so could we use this to our advantage ?
Just an observation that I thought would be worth sharing !

I have seen the odd wasp happily feed in a hive in amongst the bees. Had a European hornet being balled in one hive on Saturday. Need to go and swat a few if only to ascertain if there is a problem as I have had them around for the last three years.

It was a fairly soft foam used to pack electronic instruments, Spongy and black. I just cut it down to size and crammed it in the National entrance as a reducer.

Wondered if anyone has any videos of what wasps get up to when in a hive ?

They feed. Simple enough? Don't need a video to see that, I would have thought?

Yep. Head down in the honey. You can watch them if you are inspecting this time of year. If a wave away doesn't work a judicious pinch always does.

in a tunnel entrance the all the inbound bees are frisked and roughed up let alone wasps, contruct an observation tunnel and watch it happen

Not really on the same topic ,However.
On inspecting one of my hives last week I happened to notice a wasp was stuck (Deceased) on some foam sponge that I left as an entrance reducer.
As I removed the said wasp it would appear its feet were secure in the foam which made me think why was it stuck ?
Do wasps feet differ from bees feet ? so making it difficult for them to cross foam (or certain materials) and if so could we use this to our advantage ?
Just an observation that I thought would be worth sharing !

I doubt that it's the foam that trapped the wasp. I suspect that the wasp was mobbed by defending bees and once mortally wounded simply applied a death grip to the foam. Wasps employ a death grip as part of their defensive strategy. So for example when a hornet attacks a wasp nest the defending wasps that are mortally wounded by the hornet will endeavour to latch onto the hornet in a death grip which acts to incapacitate the hornet. They will then release distress/alarm pheromone to call more colleagues to arms and to provide a focus for the defensive effort.

If the hive has too few bees, a wasp has room to walk in. Robbers do the same.

So take empty space off, then the wasp has no access. Bee robbers either.

. If a wave away doesn't work a judicious pinch always does.

caused a few raised eyebrows at the member's bar at the Gower show when I did just that to a wasp taking an unhedalthy interest in a neighbour's pint :D

why faff around with a tunnel entrance - Just use an underfloor entrance all the year

thats like saying dont use paint use emulsion

i.e. The latter is merely one implementation of the former...

The dartington underfloor entrance is a tunnel entrance!
and once on why would you bother taking it off?

I have to agree with Derekm that the Dartington underfloor entrance is a tunnel entrance albeit that it's vertical in orientation.

Latest posts

Back