Wasp protection and returning bees...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the traps are as effective as claimed , why do you need the tunnel entrances as well?
If you have strong hives you don't need any other wasp deterrent.

Insulated tunnel like entrances do seem to stimulate interesting behaviours of honey bees. There is a very considerable collection of bees in the that type of entrance. Its worth doing if only to observe the change in behavoiur. The wasp now has to get past 20 to 100 bees rather than 1 or 2 to get to the nest area. A response to a threat on the landing board can have a posse of 10 to 15 bees coming out.

What if you don't have a strong hive?
What if you have a nuc you are hoping to get through the winter?

Reduce entrance to weak hive to single bee and bolster Nuc or do the same. Add tunnel entrances if wasp problem persists.
Strong nucs seem to defend themselves fine...you do not want a weak nuc going into the winter it's unlikely to survive.

Last edited:
If the traps are as effective as claimed , why do you need the tunnel entrances as well?
If you have strong hives you don't need any other wasp deterrent.

I started of with tunnel entrances after my first colony was getting tortured by wasps, they helped ten fold, at the same time i bought a trap and my thinking is it will take a hell of a lot of wasps out of the equation before they attempt to enter the hive,since using the two combined together i'm yet to see relentless battles at the entrance that i used to see, so to me it can only be a positive result that works and i will keep using the same method as it is one less thing to worry about. ;)

Insulated tunnel like entrances do seem to stimulate interesting behaviours of honey bees. There is a very considerable collection of bees in the that type of entrance. Its worth doing if only to observe the change in behavoiur. The wasp now has to get past 20 to 100 bees rather than 1 or 2 to get to the nest area. A response to a threat on the landing board can have a posse of 10 to 15 bees coming out.

My tree hive has two entrances and they are both tunnel entrances in a thick layer of insulation. I see just that thanks Derek

Hi,

Made a waspguard out of a plastic milk bottle held in place by drawing pins.

Problem solved. There are still a few wasps hanging around but they mainly seem to try and ambush bees outside the hive. I have been watching for about half an hour a day and only seen two wasps try to get in. One went in and came out again in seconds. One went in and never came out...

The bees are prospering. :thanks:

Thanks again everone who responded.

Attachments

• Waspguard.jpg
    Waspguard.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi,

Made a waspguard out of a plastic milk bottle held in place by drawing pins.

Problem solved. There are still a few wasps hanging around but they mainly seem to try and ambush bees outside the hive. I have been watching for about half an hour a day and only seen two wasps try to get in. One went in and came out again in seconds. One went in and never came out...

The bees are prospering. :thanks:

Thanks again everone who responded.

That will not stop wasps But good effort.

The tunnel made out of milk 'bottles' worked fine on two of my hives last year - stopped wasps from getting in very effectively. They flew to the entrance either side and then bottled out.

This year I don't seem to have a problem with wasps in the garden, we had a badger go round last autumn and dig a load of wasps nest up so maybe there are fewer this year.

I had a problem with a nuc at another site with very docile bees in it. I tried everything - tunnels, single bee entrance, deep entrance blocks, nothing worked. The bees flew around outside confused and the wasps merrily went in an out without hesitation.

In the end I moved the nuc to our garden and they are now fine.

Hurrah for badgers!

Latest posts

Back