Wasp or hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone identify this

Attachments

• BFB2B845-3DA0-41FE-9785-D7749B230D1F.jpeg
    BFB2B845-3DA0-41FE-9785-D7749B230D1F.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 102
No, not volucella zonaria . It is about twice the size of a honey bee.

It was about 25mm long, so my apologies

One of those came to visit me and the bees the other day. Sat quite happily on the edge of the brood box.
I took a photo as I was second guessing myself as to whether or not it was a hoverfly or hornet. The big bulbous red/brown eyes seem to be the easiest way of identifying it as a Hornet Mimic Hoverfly.

Unfortunately I can't post the photo with my measly number of posts :(, but I think I've managed to attach it.

Attachments

• hornet mimic hoverfly.jpg
    hornet mimic hoverfly.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 42
One of those came to visit me and the bees the other day. Sat quite happily on the edge of the brood box.
I took a photo as I was second guessing myself as to whether or not it was a hoverfly or hornet. The big bulbous red/brown eyes seem to be the easiest way of identifying it as a Hornet Mimic Hoverfly.

Unfortunately I can't post the photo with my measly number of posts :(, but I think I've managed to attach it.

Lovely picture and welcome to the forum

Lovely picture and welcome to the forum

Thank you! I've been a silent lurker for the past 18 months, absorbing all the advice and information I could before I finally got my bees in April. Aside from the occasional bickering ;-) this place is a fantastic resource for new beeks to add to their arsenal.

One of these accompanied me around the apiary today. Kept landing on my notebook & pen. Seems it wanted to stick around.

Back