wasp nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
My sister has discovered a wasps nest in her boiler house. She asked me for advice since I keep bees. Whats the best way to erradicate it.

If accessible, use a black bin bag, place over the paper nest and twist and scrunch the open end, pull down and hopefully you have the majority of the wasps. Wear thick gloves, tie up the open end and place in the freezer for a few days to kill them, or gently stamp on them without bursting the bag, until they stop buzzing.

Whats the best way to erradicate it.

Depends whether they are hidden away in a cavity or have produced a hanging from the ceiling nest.
Can you get easy access to cavity entrance or can you get access to hanging nest easily?

Wait until dark, ensure every flyer is home, wasp foam.

Problem with wasp foam is the can sprays out a forceable stream which will probably dislodge a hanging wasps nest, which will end on the floor and ......well you can imagine the rest.
Plastic bags can be very successful if done carefully and particularly if one hasn't been sampling the Islay's famous products before hand.
Lidl's latest offering at under £18 is acceptable if not classic :).

Last edited:
Don't copy this anyone unless you feel lucky (i can take many wasps stings) anyway it work's .. spray the nest with fly spray and run, give it ten minuets and do the same again, then whack the big paper ball with a yard brush so it drop on the floor.. give it ten minutes and spray with fly spray again whilst using a tennis racket for self defense through out the process.. :spy:..

Don't copy this anyone unless you feel lucky (i can take many wasps stings) anyway it work's .. spray the nest with fly spray and run, give it ten minuets and do the same again, then whack the big paper ball with a yard brush so it drop on the floor.. give it ten minutes and spray with fly spray again whilst using a tennis racket for self defense through out the process.. :spy:..

One of my friends borrowed one of my bee suits to tackle a wasp nest in the fascia board of his summer house, I told him to wear thick clothing under the suit. Anyway he went through 4 cans of fly spray to get rid of them.

Problem with wasp foam is the can sprays out a forceable stream which will probably dislodge a hanging wasps nest,

Still less risky than attempting a Mexican hat dance on a bin bag full of pissed off wasps.
I prefer a Jura from a virgin oak cask myself - or a twelve year old Springbank.

Wasp powder. Spraying the powder in the entrance the wasps are using. They carry it in to the nest. Dead in24 hours usually but if not then repeat. Once dead get a Henry hoover and hoover the nest up.
But in future I will use Millets idea, sounds more fun:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Back