Was this a mating flight?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
Background: as 2 weeks ago. Old queen and colony doing well, and rest of colony in old bb also ok, with one qc left active, latest calculated emergence was mon/tues this week.
Was near hives this morning, around 11, when I heard the bees gradually increase volume to a pretty loud 'roar'. When I had a look, there was much activity by the (formerly?) Q- hive and a cloud of bees (maybe a few hundred) flying in circles about 6m up.
No more than 5-6 mins later it'd all quietened down and business resumed as normal. I'd hidden in the shed and watched from the window, as I had the dog with me and didn't want him spooking the bees further... Also, I hadn't got glasses on, so couldn't see if queen about, but no swarm in sight at all.
I'm thinking it was a mating flight perhaps, as the timing would work (I think).
This afternoon, all seems business as usual...

I know there's no definitive answer, but am hoping things are coming together! My fellow beeks in the area are suffering terribly with swarms - I was the only one to do an as in time (following everyone else's swarms, and subsequent detailed inspections - not because I'm fabulous!).
:paparazzi:

It might have been.

If all went well you should expect to see eggs in about a week.

That was early in the day for a mating flight. Not impossible but early, nevertheless. Might depend on the weather as well. What was the temperature per eg?

Thanks.

It was a pretty warm morning and that area of my garden is very sheltered. I would estimate it was around 19-20 Celsius and n full sun...

All remains normal (or does it? I truly don't know normal this season...).

Could also have been a preamble to swarming - could have missed a QC easily done. Best of luck.

Thanks.

It was a pretty warm morning and that area of my garden is very sheltered. I would estimate it was around 19-20 Celsius and n full sun...

All remains normal (or does it? I truly don't know normal this season...).

I believe that it was a strong cleansing flight after some rainy days.

Hives do not make that kind of mating flights. Even if guys write here that it is a great happening, but I have never seen such happening. There are youtubes, but I think that they are pure imagination. I looked one video and it was really false.

Often I have in my cottage yard 10 - 15 virgins in mating age and workers never form extra flying happenings. The queen makes lots of flights during 2-3 days and inside several hours.

But if someone thinks that mating flight is a big happening, it harms nothing. It is only fairy tale but they really are needed in beekeeping.

Could also have been a preamble to swarming - could have missed a QC easily done. Best of luck.

Beeno! How right you are! Just waiting for the swarm to settle in my hawthorn (why not thorn free apple tree?). Anyway, just off out with a box...

Further updates as events warrant!

Swarm appears to be in two groups, one about 2 ft below other smaller one. Am assuming just one swarm, but never seen it spit like this...

Will collect as one - am hoping I'm right.

Leave them for a while and they would have amalgamated into one. Never be too quick to collect a swarm otherwise they will be up and off again.... Let them settle and calm down!
E

Think I witnessed a mating flight but at first thought it was a swarm. The noise alerted me!! I could see them in the garden. Not a lot of bees but flying in circles and back and forth about 30 feet off the ground then by the time I got out into the garden they had gone and no noise at all.
I checked both hives today and the queen less one from the AS had a hatched empty q cell. No larvae or eggs. So I guess that's what occurred. Great to see but worrying too. Very warm here in Cambridge. This happened at 10.30 and by then it was 21 deg C. Will check in a week toy see if there's any eggs. 🐝🐝😊

PS the swarm I collected on Thursday have gone!!

Back