Warre hive from major supplier

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Good heavens to murgatroyd! A certain large UK supplier of beekeeping equipment (who shall obviously remain nameless) is now offering Warre hives at £205 a pop! not worthy

"There is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over over 99 who need no repentance."

Nevertheless, there's a company on Brockel, Germany, that does them from €99+ p&p.

Dusty

I think Brosville's point is that there is a major supplier in the UK who has decided they aren't so unusual and will supply them. So they have gained a certain degree of acceptance.

Quote: "There is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over over 99 who need no repentance."

Well that's not much of an incentive. I may as well stay a sinner :rolleyes:

A certain large supplier is also offering a hive that takes its inventor over half an hour to demonstrate let alone how long it will take the beekeeper to work out all the twiddly bits...

...why IS it that so many beekeepers are engineers and similar?

I think Brosville's point is that there is a major supplier in the UK who has decided they aren't so unusual and will supply them. So they have gained a certain degree of acceptance.

I doubt it's anything so philanthropic, just that it's an opportunity to sell another shape of wooden boxes to beekeepers. After all, they've invested heavily in equipment to make wooden boxes, so why not another pattern?

You could apply the same logic to say that the Rose Hive must have gained a certain degree of acceptance... but I fear it has not.

The true test will be whether it's still listed in the catalogues in five years time...

Too true.

And are Warreors comfortable with this? I'd thought that the simple home-made and ideally recycled aspect of the Warre was part of its appeal.

We can also be pragmatic - I have to accept that a great many of the people now taking up beekeeping, and going for TBHs and Warres are unwilling or feel unable to make their own hives (many of the new wave are women who tend not to be so keen on woodwork), so there is undoubtedly a market for commercially made ones. I know an excellent local maker of them who is considerably cheaper than the big company, who uses "offcuts", and he has a lively market in them.

Would you share his details, Brosville? Privately, of course.

Latest posts

Back