Warming cabinet issue?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Recently following advice on here I installed 2x 60w tubular heaters in our old fridge along with the relevant stat.

My issue is that it doesn't reach the required temp. Both tubes are hot and I had installed both on the floor at the required spacing (as detailed in the blurb that came with them) but it didn't reach temp. I thought that maybe the tubes were overheating each other and shutting down so I moved 1 a foot away but no change.

Any polite suggestions welcome.

The stat is showing the correct temp inside the box but the box doesn't reach 40 C.

Tim.

Where have you placed the temperature sensor could be too close to the heaters?
I sited my heaters one on the floor and one near the top with the sensor half way down - reaches 40 no problems

Only three alternatives.

1) They are not producing their rated output.

2) Fridge is leaking heat energy faster than your input. Door seal?

3) Your measurement of temperature is incorrect. Maybe the 'stat is in the wrong place?

Only three alternatives.

1) They are not producing their rated output.

2) Fridge is leaking heat energy faster than your input. Door seal?

3) Your measurement of temperature is incorrect. Maybe the 'stat is in the wrong place?

How about

4/ Two heaters wired in series rather than parallel ?

The stat sensor is near the top.

In previous life I was involved in designing/ making wiring for aircraft, missiles, fighting vehicles and Trident subs, so yes they are in parallel.

The stat. shows the temp in the box and the box does not reach required temp.

I think Rab's option 1 is probably correct, The fridge functioned well as a fridge until SWMBO decided it was too old so it's likely the door seals are ok.

Tim.

P.S. The stat is a STC-1000. I've checked it against a calibrated thermometer and it's about 0.25 Deg out, close enough for this use.

P.P.S. Soon I'll put a meter across the 'tubes' and see what they really are, watts wise.

Last edited:
My set up is similar and easily reaches 45C, the highest I would want, however I have a fan in mine (from Maplin), which helps distribute the heat. Try putting your sensor lower down in fridge, since the hot air will rise.
Have you set up the STC properly, as the instructions are not that clear.

The stat sensor is near the top.

In previous life I was involved in designing/ making wiring for aircraft, missiles, fighting vehicles and Trident subs, so yes they are in parallel.

The stat. shows the temp in the box and the box does not reach required temp.

Without questioning the wiring of any submarines, my point was that there were NOT "only three possible causes". :)

The top of the enclosure is likely to be the hottest part. Lower down, it may not hold a temperature as high as that seen at the top.
After you have got the heating exceeding the heat loss, putting the sensor alongside the "payload" gives you the best idea of what temperature it is experiencing.
And a fan would help towards evening out the temperature within the enclosure.

I put a fan heater inside and old "coca cola " cabinet. controlled by one of the £12 Chinese temp stats.
In the season I add a humidifier controlled by a £12 Chinese humidity stat as well.
Doubles as an incubator

And at £12 you can afford to keep a spare!

Try adding a fan.

James

The tube heaters are 60w but still couldn't reach 40 C.

Today I've swapped them as a trial with an external light fitting with 1 x 120w reflector bulb in.

Result is up to temp in an hour and holding it on the stat.

I now assume that the over-temp control in the tubes is set way too low for my purpose.

I shall investigate the internals and see what is in there.

BUYERS beware, they were bought through Amaz. as Dimplex but turned out to be unbranded from the P.R.C.

BUYERS beware, they were bought through Amaz. as Dimplex but turned out to be unbranded from the P.R.C.
did you complain?

Don't think this will stop you getting a refund … the review is presumably by a member of the public, not the vendor. You shouldn't have to take other buyers comments into account when making a purchase.

Latest posts

Back