VV Behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<snip>

From what we have learned this year, after Asian hornets that became established about 6 years ago, here in `North `Brittany, have some what "Naturalised". They seemed to be less concerned about targeting honey bee colonies, they still do but they seem to be diversifying in their diet and they seem to be changing their nesting position. In many cases nesting close to the ground and not necessarily high up in trees

<snip>.

Very interesting but I guess ecologically it makes sense. If conditions naturally favour VV then I suspect we would have had a hornet evolve to occupy that niche before the arrival of VV. From what you say it may well be that VV is being tempered by its new environment showing characteristics more akin to Vespula germanica.

The holes look to be approx 20-30mm....... wouldn't inch chicken wire do the job?

If I were designing something like that I'd be looking for a hole/gap smaller than a Vv's wingspan but bigger than a honey bee's wingspan but the opening sizes would have to be accurate or it would not work - that's where punched holes in clear plastic come in; accurate dimensions that can't easily be distorted. I might have been inclined to have a coloured but translucent plastic material.

If Goran is right about the price, I can understand why it did not take off - I don't see it as 30 Euros and at 18 euros, it might struggle. I'd be selling it flat-packed, with self assembly by cable ties - morceau de gateau!

CVB

Latest posts

Back