Victims of yesterdays storm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

out of interest, which way were the combs, warm way or cold way....?

:biggrinjester:

Thanks for this pictures and the story.
Wonderful to see such natural comb. I hope they make it in their new world.

Hi,

out of interest, which way were the combs, warm way or cold way....?

:biggrinjester:

Actually they were at right angles to the entrance hole. Most of the stores were to the back with the brood in the middle. They had quite a big space to heat but the upper section was filled with comb and the void at the bottom

So in answer to your question, warm way.

Maybe I didnt explain it well enough, you come in the front door (hole in tree) and the combs are at right angles, ie they block your way like a series of walls to go around, under or over, hence stopping the cold.
Maybe right angles is the wrong description, how about 180 degrees or T junction.
Anyway definately warm way.

:cheers2:

Maybe I didnt explain it well enough, you come in the front door (hole in tree) and the combs are at right angles, ie they block your way like a series of walls to go around, under or over, hence stopping the cold.
Maybe right angles is the wrong description, how about 180 degrees or T junction.
Anyway definately warm way.

:cheers2:
Typical roundabout way of Norfolk description..

Yes nice photos and very interesting to see how they get on. :cheers2:

Had a look through the clear plastic crown board that comes with the nuc's this morning and the bees were very active, running about all over the tops of the frames. The newspaper under the box was covered in debris where they had been uncapping stores. I moved them on to fresh paper into the conservatory to help them get used to the cooler temperatures again and tomorrow they will go outside.
I checked the brood combs and found no sign of disease.
In the debris on the paper this morning I found a couple of varroa, considered giving them some oxallic tomorrow whilst they are still broodless but they are fairly small and have had a rough time already............bloody hell I am going soft...............but they may be damned if I do and damned if I dont, should of let Jed D take them :sunning:

Thanks for sharing Pete D. Great pics and good work. Hope they make it. I trust you will keep us updated?

I agree, great pics, thanks for sharing.
More support for the idea bees do well in tall, narrow cavities, those long slabs of comb are very impressive !

Had a look through the clear plastic crown board that comes with the nuc's this morning and the bees were very active, running about all over the tops of the frames. The newspaper under the box was covered in debris where they had been uncapping stores. I moved them on to fresh paper into the conservatory to help them get used to the cooler temperatures again and tomorrow they will go outside.
I checked the brood combs and found no sign of disease.
In the debris on the paper this morning I found a couple of varroa, considered giving them some oxallic tomorrow whilst they are still broodless but they are fairly small and have had a rough time already............bloody hell I am going soft...............but they may be damned if I do and damned if I dont, should of let Jed D take them :sunning:

I think they have been through enough and leavet any varroa treatment for another day. If they come through the rest of the winter a bit of varroa will be a nice problem to have....strange thing to say!!!

Good luck with them

Thanks Pete D.

And thank you, too, for the post. Lovely pix. And lucky bees!

what I really, really want to know is, where do you find such lovely weather??! You must be a very righteous lot over there in the far east.

what I really, really want to know is, where do you find such lovely weather??! You must be a very righteous lot over there in the far east.

Saints, the lot of us. Well one was once and we are all related, beat you to it JBM.

Also the sun rises over this side and we are tight and don't let it go. :sunning::sunning:

lots more pictures please particularly at the very top of the nest. Can you put a ruler or measuring tape in the pics so I have so idea of scale/dimensions?
its because its the tapering in at the top is very interesting from a thermal point of view and I have no data at all on that apart from Tom Seeleys sketch.
thanks

Derek

The tree was fab ,would of been great to leave them in it til april.
But it was split long ways and needed a lot of glue and nails to repair it.:smash:

Brother pete,
If you want to put them in our heated bee/hedgehog shed , you can.
Currently running at 14 degrees.as we have 4 hogs over wintering.
Bees have access to outside via pipe and a hole in the wall.

Latest posts

Back