Veil repairs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave /Oscroft

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
9 at present
Having had a suit for a couple of years now(Bees on Line) the veil is now splitting, is it possible to obtain another veil complete, ready to attach or send the suit off somewhere for repair?

Any ideas ? or is it a case of buy another suit, seems a waste though.

dave W

Go along to your local sewing/wool shop (if you are lucky enough to still have one in your area). There will almost certainly be a very competent, enterprising person there who will fix it for you for next to nothing.

"I managed to scorch a hole in mine years ago..."

There's no need to be embarrassed to admit you lit a fag!
I did it.....

there's a few on fleabay at the moment, I bought one as a spare - cost me four and a half quid inc. postage. Also got a whole brand new suit two weeks ago for a fiver again inc postage - not the best obviously but for a fiver it makes a good spare

i burnt a big hole in the front of a cheapo one a few weeks back when i got blowback whilst lighting a smoker with a blowlamp.

I hope you had more success in your other job Doc . . . :)

veils

Just had an email back there £12 + delivery seems a good deal to me. Think i'll get a new suit anyway as there on a sale at the mo so will have a spare.

Dave W

I darn my veil if it gets a rip, it is very easy to do and as long as it isn't on the front (most splits are up the side where the veil folds) then it doesn't affect how well you can see. Just weave some thick cotton in and out of the mesh around the split, until you have a neat darned patch covering the hole.

My old cheap ebay suit had loads of darned splits in it the sides, finally replaced it with a new shiny suit and then tore the veil in my new suit on a load of brambles within a few weeks of getting it!:eek:

Back