Varroa on bees Photo

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I left a few bes in a box with a little capped foundation when I moved a colony to a new site. The box was just to pick up stragglers. Found a couple with varroa on.

Great pic Jeff :) Horrible little blighters.

Must be a high infestation in the colony for them to be seen on the bees. I'd get some treatment on pronto. Good pic though

Must be a high infestation in the colony for them to be seen on the bees. I'd get some treatment on pronto. Good pic though

I thought that too EricA but I don't have enough experience to comment. I can say though, that I've never seen this and I've looked in a lot of hives along with my own colony. How would he go about remedying this now? Isn't the thymol ( or other methods ) treatment due?

Great picture, makes me want to reach for the tweezers, I'd be going for a treatment on that asap, love to see another one where they have all fallen onto a board underneath the bottom of your hive!

Only about 50 bees on a small patch of brood on 1 frame I left in hive to pick up stragglers I would guess that the brood has hatched and the varroa have no new brood to move into so catching a ride on the bees that are left.

Wow - great photo. As a newcomer to all this, that sort of photo is a real eye opener - books are great (I know the bees don't read them!) but this sort of info is invaluable.

Yes, very clever photo but what horrible blighters these mites are. Vigilance and control is essential

Thanks for your kind comments how about some varroa in Drone brood found by using a uncapping fork dug into the brood.

Latest posts

Back