Varroa agility

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
Just how agile are they?

Can they climb wooden hive walls?
Climb plastic?

I would say yes, although hitching a lift on a passing bee may be their chosen means of getting around?

I would say yes, although hitching a lift on a passing bee may be their chosen means of getting around?

I was thinking more in terms of when they fall off.....do they/cam they climb back onto frames, or do they stay around the floor (no mesh) waiting for a bee to pass by?

I watched one on the inspection tray once and was moving similar to the ones in the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-kNbaXYEQ"]Varroa mites on the bee larva - YouTube[/ame]

I was thinking more in terms of when they fall off.....do they/cam they climb back onto frames, or do they stay around the floor (no mesh) waiting for a bee to pass by?

I assume the point of changing to mesh floors was so that the mite cannot crawl back. This would then lead one to believe that they can climb back or hitch a lift from a bee on the solid floor, otherwise what was the point of using mesh originally?
That's why I changed from solid to open.
Cazza

Although not answering your question Itchy but another good video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9-FGA3bwEw"]Biologie der Varroamilbe - Biology of the Varroa Mite - YouTube[/ame]

You will have to click the blue bar at the top to watch through youtube

Last edited:
otherwise what was the point of using mesh originally?
Cazza

It was encouraged some time before varroa to ensure the hive was dry and well ventilated and didn't have a roaring gale streaming through the entrance to the hole in the crown board! it was discussed in detail on an issue of beecraft in 1990. When varroa came along in 1992, OMF was seen ass an additional tool in the control of the mite, I'm sure someone will be along with more concrete facts shortly, I have to leave my room for the cleaner!

It was encouraged some time before varroa to ensure the hive was dry and well ventilated and didn't have a roaring gale streaming through the entrance to the hole in the crown board! it was discussed in detail on an issue of beecraft in 1990. When varroa came along in 1992, OMF was seen ass an additional tool in the control of the mite, I'm sure someone will be along with more concrete facts shortly, I have to leave my room for the cleaner!
:iagree:
This was my understanding too.

I was told ages ago by some Master beeks in my BKA that by smearing vaseline or similar all over the varroa floor when it's put in place, that will inhibit them from being able to climb back up from below the OMF. Anyone else heard this? I admit I don't always do so but they do in the club apiary for certain.

My assumption that although a mesh floor obviously helps, its not past the realms of possibility that mites can get back in.

I have always believed that the mites are quite mobile and could climb back into the hive. With this in mind when I made my OMF(s) I left a 50mm gap between the mesh and the inspection board. When the boards are out (which is most of the time) the drop is 250mm over 90% of the floor.

Soooo - board in, mite return possible but difficult for them

Board out, impossible unless wearing underpants over tights- supermite.

I bet a bit difficult to climb back into the hive without the inspection tray fitted.

Sorry mjbee missed your post

Hi Itchy,
Varroa mites very agile and if a live one falls to the floor it will climb back up or hitch a lift on a bee. Thereof the varroa mesh floor which will make it more difficult for the Varroa to climb back in provided the tray is not in there. Most of the mites that fall on the varroa board is natural mite drop i.e. they have expired!

Yep, heard the vaseline trick to stick mites to the inspection tray to stop them climbing back up. Also helps when you want to count mite drop. Other similar products are cheaper though.

Yep, heard the vaseline trick to stick mites to the inspection tray to stop them climbing back up. Also helps when you want to count mite drop. Other similar products are cheaper though.

But I have surplus vaseline. SWMBO has obviously been at credit card ttoo often!!!

Climbing Mites

I read somewhere recently that one company is making the OMF 2inches to the inspection board so assume thats about as far as they can climb !!!!!!!!!!

Back