varnish poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebopalula

House Bee
Reaction score
Do any poly hive users varnish the mating surfaces of their boxes to improve durability?

Some poly boxes dont have frame runners and some people varnish these to stop damage when lifting frames stuck down with propolis .

Given up doing anything to them, just use 'em !

If they last five years, that's good enough for me.

Given up doing anything to them, just use 'em !

If they last five years, that's good enough for me.

Me too. Painting does not improve the look. The faded look is preferable!

My oldest polyhives are from year 1987. It is 25 years old. Thery are in good condition. Some boxes are not good quality. Bees bite some boxes into bad condition in a month.

If you look bees' landing, when the poly box is not painted, bees whirl long time in front of entrance. White poly seems to reflect light so that bees do not see well the entrance. When you paint the box, bees fly directly into the hole.

I have swienty national and have always varnished all contact surfaces plus applied petroleum jelly to aid separation of boxes. My oldest boxes are 17 years and still going strong.

The way my bees are chewing I imagine they would have eaten it before it gets chance to make 5 years old.

The way my bees are chewing I imagine they would have eaten it before it gets chance to make 5 years old.

Mark, I would be guessing they are from *************************** but would not write it on the forum without evidence. Care to help others out by revealing the source? My MB polys have no chewing damage whatsoever.

RAB

The producer will notice his mistake sooner and later and he will repair his mistake. Why sometimes bad quality happens, I do not know. The plastic raw material has been changed or what? Once they ate half of wall in one month.

Latest posts

Back