Vaporising using a piece of copper pipe and a blowtorch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Recently a BKA close to me did a session for members of vaporising oxalic acid.

The demonstrator took a 2 foot piece of 15mm copper pipe which had a 90 degree bend in it. Open at one end with a stop valve at the other. He put a measured amount of OA into the pipe and then sealed the closed end and stuck the open end into a pre-drilled 15mm hole in an eke. He then simply ran a blow-torch up and down the pipe to vape the OA. Left it for 5 mins and then onto the next hive.

I found a similar thing being done on you-tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHz4B1vqKo

It seems so brilliantly simple I cannot believe it is not the common way of doing this. Certainly saves lugging a battery around

Is there any reason not to do it this way?

Recently a BKA close to me did a session for members of vaporising oxalic acid.

The demonstrator took a 2 foot piece of 15mm copper pipe which had a 90 degree bend in it. Open at one end with a stop valve at the other. He put a measured amount of OA into the pipe and then sealed the closed end and stuck the open end into a pre-drilled 15mm hole in an eke. He then simply ran a blow-torch up and down the pipe to vape the OA. Left it for 5 mins and then onto the next hive.

I found a similar thing being done on you-tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHz4B1vqKo

It seems so brilliantly simple I cannot believe it is not the common way of doing this. Certainly saves lugging a battery around

Is there any reason not to do it this way?

High risk of localised overheating of the OA causing undesirable breakdown of the chemical rather than sublimation.

Yes, I watche dthat earlier.

When I sublimed, filling ther tray with OA was easier.. and I did not have to insert a new entrance block (he squashes a bee at 2:13 on..).

In theory iit is better ... but all his equipment looked clean to me: after several heatings there would be OA/splatter on the join he needs to open to insert the OA.. (If using the legal treatment in the UK with included sugar,it would likely seize up with carbon)...

I would not like to do it in windy conditions...

What an idiot - reckless and downright irresponsible demonstrating it in a teaching apiary.
and we wonder why those in authority are trying to restrict access to OA

maybe he should keep both ends of the pipe open and just blow into the furthest end to help the OA vapours get into the hive quicker (taking all possible steps not to accidentally breathe in that is)

Quite a few flightless bees after them having their wing scorched, I thought the whole idea was to kill varroa not bees

maybe he should keep both ends of the pipe open and just blow into the furthest end to help the oa vapours get into the hive quicker (taking all possible steps not to accidentally breathe in that is)

20160105_124831.jpg

Mine's a bit like that, heat the oxalic externally, then blow it in.

View attachment 12652

Mine's a bit like that, heat the oxalic externally, then blow it in.

does it take many breaths? and do you ever burn your lips when the pipe gets hot? :D

Maybe practice circular breathing like the best oboists and digeridoo players is the answer

].......trying to upload a photo of the blowing device,,,,,,20160105_124841.jpg

There we go, no need for mouth to mouth,,

Last edited:
hello jack,
i made a home made pipe burner for oxalic acic and it was not very efficient,as a matter of fact it was crap.in the end i got my self a varrox which is very efficient quick and you get a real good burn of the acid.they are a little bit expencive for the amount of time you use it but you could go half with a beekeeping friend to keep the cost down.

There is another device that most beeks have that could be used for blowing vapour into the hive... an unlit smoker.

An old smoker with a PTC heater inside would probably make a very good applicator for vapour,
maybe with an adapter that fits between the smoker spout and the entrance.

Last edited:
There is another device that most beeks have that could be used for blowing vapour into the hive... an unlit smoker.

An old smoker with a PTC heater inside would probably make a very good applicator for vapour,

Cripes - think this thread should be supplied with a health warning (either that or re-titled 'suicide corner'

Do not try this at home kids :D

Cripes - think this thread should be supplied with a health warning (either that or re-titled 'suicide corner'

Do not try this at home kids :D

obviously a home-made respirator won't work as well as an approved one,
but if anyone wants to design one... :sifone:

:svengo::svengo:
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2: I can't believe I just read that!

That should cut down the competition at the honey show :sorry:

I'll have you know I won a First at last year's county honey show.

Best Frame for Extraction.

The cappings were a lovely pale white colour :)

Back