Vaping PPE

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Vaporising: To date have used Varrox Vap with basic nasal/mouth cove [Stood up-wind]. GasVap demands better face mask/filter. Searches have brought me to 3M 6000 series Mask and 60923 (Pink Yellow) Filters. Can any members advise as to what Facial PPE they are using/recommend when sublimating? I may in total ignorance be overreaching.

Get the full face mask, its has eye protection which is also essential.

What I was advised on here to use the 6059 filters in conjunction with the 5935 using 501 clips which comes with the mask.

The 60923 doesn't appear to have P3 filtration at a quick glance?

Last edited:
Yes, get a full face mask: sublimated OA can enter via eyes.

Filter grade for OA sublimation is A2P3. Standardised protection levels are graded 1 to 3: A is for organic vapours, P for particulates.

If you want to read up on it, page 17 on this 3M chart defines OA filter grade as A and P. Similar info. is at the HSE and the chart on page 45 defines the coding.

Your 3M 60923 won't do the job as the material list is restricted to certain gases and will not (as AM pointed out) filter particulates: may be used for respiratory protection from certain organic vapors, chlorine, hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen fluoride, and non-oil and oil...

I use a Moldex 9000 series with Moldex A2P3 filters. Make sure you're clean-shaven when using a mask because hair interferes with sealing. A full-face mask is not a cheap buy but it'll protect your health properly.

Years ago when checking in every man with a beard was issued a razor and told to go shave. It was that or quit. The rig was about to drill into what was suspected H2S and as it is odourless and lethal the use of BA was a very high possibility and facial hair would cause poor seals to the face and possibly result in death.

Beards and facial masks do not mix which is why the Fire and Rescue people don't have them.

I do find off colour comments about serious safety issues to be a bit ..... inappropriate.

PH

The rig was about to drill into what was suspected H2S and as it is odourless and lethal

H2S is lethal but it stinks (as do all sulfur (II) compounds) and has a very low odour detection threshold of ~1 microgram / m3.

H2S is lethal but it stinks (as do all sulfur (II) compounds) and has a very low odour detection threshold of ~1 microgram / m3.

Is that the one where the stink of rotten eggs fades but that's just because you can't smell it any more. Then you collapse?

That's the one. You get the sulphur with your last breath then collapse.

I see I am putting a name on ignore again. No idea why I was so stupid to take it off but easily sorted.

Looked on Amazon for Moldex 9000 series with Moldex A2P3 filters and no results??? Odd.

PH

I see I am putting a name on ignore again. No idea why I was so stupid to take it off but easily sorted.

PH
- but you'll soon take it off again for another opportunity to be pompous.
Ignorance seems to be your forte, I don't ask you to respond, if it bothers you so much, keep me on ignore.

Looked on Amazon for Moldex 9000 series with Moldex A2P3 filters and no results??? Odd.

It's out of stock everywhere; probable that Moldex are running flat out producing respirators for the NHS, or that the factory has closed for the duration.

thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk had this to say on its website: Due to the current virus situation UK stock levels are limited and it is advisable to contact us before placing your order to check if this product is on its way to us.

EricBmont: May thanks for your clarifications. I am particularly obliged for your time in providing helpful links. I will consider the Moldex 9000 when the masks become available again. In my simplicity I thought filters were singe self-contained units, but it appears that the filters advised will comprise two units A2 and P3 clipped together. A lesson learned. Unfortunately, I am a lifelong bearded gent, and this will not give way to the bees. Again, thanks for your time.

Unfortunately, I am a lifelong bearded gent, and this will not give way to the bees.

Spikedog, you will discover that OA will seep through your beard and enter your lungs, and that the experience is so alarming that you will decide to remove the beard (temporarily, of course) as I did when using a full-face mask with a beard (not even a giant hedge, more a London goatee which fits in well with the current metropolitan milieu).

A beard will return; your health will not.

Eric I think there are plenty of forum members with quite impressive beards who vape their bees. How do they manage?

When I started beekeeping I thought it must be custom and practise to have a beard as virtually all the male members of the local BKA had one. Being only 11 yrs old at the time this was not an option for me! 62 yrs later beards are still quite common among the male beekeeping community. I did go through a beard/long hair phase during the hippy years of the 1960/70s and again last year when I grew a white one but the other half objected so it had to go.

It seems strange that the Royal Navy always allowed us to have beards ,this was no problem as long as you were wearing the PPE correctly.Why tell everyone there is a problem when one doesn't exist.

Latest posts

Back