Uses for slumgum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

I've melted wax from about 250 combs recently, and I'm left with a lot of slumgum. I can see that there is a lot of pollen in the slumgum. I know that there is still some wax left in it, but I was unable to get much more wax out of it than what came out of it when I steamed the frames to begin with. I'm told that slumgum burns very well, so perhaps one can make fire lighters from them, but that might mean getting my hands very dirty as I squeeze the stuff into little moulds.

Do you know how I can get the pollen out of the slumgum [easily/cheaply]?

Samuel

itouch 503.JPG

Is it this stuff above the strainer in the steam box that you are referring to?
Must admit I've always scraped it off the strainer whilst it's hot into a bag then into the bin.
Good on you if you can find a way to recycle it.

Heat it up and stir it into some sawdust. Tip some of the mixture on to a sheet of newspaper, roll the newspaper up and twist the ends together to make a sort of sausage come christmas cracker. Great for starting bonfires. Not worth trying to extract the pollen or any more of the wax.

I have used it, well-mixed with sawdust, as smoker fuel. Can be slow to get started, but once going the smoker is guaranteed not to go out. The only downsides are that the stuff stinks - even worse when burning - and it'll attract flies unless covered.

Probably best used as chicken-feed.
LJ

Latest posts

Back