Useful tools/accessories

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snelgrove boards for out apiaries visits.
I usually have 4 or 5 in the truck all season.
Apart from their obvious function in swarm control, which is their main usage for me. They have, at various times, been pressed into service as emergency floors, crown-boards and even temporary roofs. I've used them as travel screens, used them as a barrier to keep bees out of boxes of cleared supers frames whilst brushing bees off other frames. Made into emergency clearer boards by ripping mesh off and pinning rhombus clearer underneath. Plus I'm sure they have a few other uses which have escaped me.
A very versatile bit of kit.

Coloured Drawing pins for marking frames that I want to keep an eye on for any reason.

Olbas oil - a drop or two on your gloves will keep the bees off your hands.

Roll of aluminium tape - everything from sealing a hive entrance to a hole in your trousers - totally bee-proof and sticks to anything - better than duct tape.

Perhaps not tools but - essentials always in my beekeeping tote box... which is another essential !

Abelo's metal smoker box is well worth the price. It speeded up moving between apiaries for me last summer no end and removed the concern about having a hot smoker in the boot of the car or spending time cooling it down. Stopped the car smelling of smoker too.
:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:
I will vouch for that one... Ollie 90@s incendiary incident had me worried!
Chons da

A clump of leafy hedge to brush bees off frames..hate the bee brush as bees get stuck in and they get miffed

and over door hangers.. great thought for when grafting too

I bought a goose wing (from a German equipment supplier). It works great.
A handful of grass works too

Last edited:
On the subject of brushes, what do people suggest makes for the softest bristle. I need to update mine which is synthetic and a little rough on the bees.
Dave

On the subject of brushes, what do people suggest makes for the softest bristle. I need to update mine which is synthetic and a little rough on the bees.
Dave

Cow-parsley, after flowering when it's brown. It has the lightness to flick them off but the rigidity to do the job briskly. If cow parsley is unavailable, use anything similar from a hedge.

Our beginners see me describe the bee-brush, recommend they do not buy one and chuck it away. Brush negatives: the hairs irritate bees quickly and when the fibres get sticky all hell breaks loose and the brush is useless; cost is unnecessary (Thorne sell one for £3.50+ delivery and at the same time recommend that it is not used for clearing bees off combs and supers, which is probably the reason that drove the purchase. Brush positives: hmm...

With a hedge-brush a new clean one is always to hand at no cost.

Cow-parsley, after flowering when it's brown. It has the lightness to flick them off but the rigidity to do the job briskly. If cow parsley is unavailable, use anything similar from a hedge.

Our beginners see me describe the bee-brush, recommend they do not buy one and chuck it away. Brush negatives: the hairs irritate bees quickly and when the fibres get sticky all hell breaks loose and the brush is useless; cost is unnecessary (Thorne sell one for £3.50+ delivery and at the same time recommend that it is not used for clearing bees off combs and supers, which is probably the reason that drove the purchase. Brush positives: hmm...

Thanks for that info.

Must be something wrong with my bees. I use a standard nylon brush and no problems. Bees don't get irritated or whatever. Does need to be washed after 6 or 7 supers....so I take 6 with me :)
Technique is everything.
Although I have to confess, I've never used rare birds of prey wings so don't know if they can do more than 6 supers before washing. And I clear supers when Cow parsley (In London!!!??) is long gone.

Last edited:
6 x £3.50 + delivery + washing brushes = too much.
Cow parsley stays rigid until well into early autumn, and alternatives are abundant.

Which idiot pays £3.50 for brushes
Haven't they heard of pound shops. :) :)
Probably £2 shops in London :)

Back