Unusual waggling/shaking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolbz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following video. This was a cast swarm that came to my bait hive. I put them in a nuc two weeks ago, fed them and let them get on with it. Today was my first proper look at them. All looking fairly good apart from a few doing this unusual shaking. My best guess is a low level of CBPV. Is this anything to be worried about at this stage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-StgkFOS0g

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following video.

My first thought was that the forceful shaking was an attempt to remove a varroa mite but I didn't see any.
CBPV is more of a shiver than a shake so I don't believe it is that either.
Not very helpful, I'm afraid.

I think it's trying to get the attention of other bees before it does a waggle dance. Or there is food really close and that is it's directional dance .
Doesn't look like cbpv.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

My first thought was that the forceful shaking was an attempt to remove a varroa mite but I didn't see any.

That was what I was thinking while I was there but couldn't see any in person either. I think Nige.Coll may be right, looking at it again they could be just getting the attention of others. I spent quite a while looking at this hive as I was trying to spot the newly mated queen. It may be totally normal and I've just never really noticed this behaviour before. Thanks for looking.

Having watched the video I think it is the Tremble dance.
• Carried out by returning nectar laden forager if she experiences a long unloading delay ( before house bees takes her regurgitated nectar from her)
• She shakes her body back and forth while rotating her body axis by 50 degrees every second or so and while walking slowly across the comb
• This dance is used to recruit more house bees to switch to receiving nectar from foragers and storing it

Having watched the video I think it is the Tremble dance.

Wow that's a new one to me. Thanks for the information and explanation. I need to do some more reading about it.

Seeley talks about it on one of his you tube videos. Sorry cannot recall which. Sorry

I found a Seeley talk which describes this. I figured I'd link it in case anyone else is interested. The full talk is good if you can tolerate the video/audio quality. The tremble dance is described at about 25:25 https://youtu.be/tg8y2Sb906I

Latest posts

Back