Uniting Bees In P@ynes Nucs.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
I'm over wintering some bees with queens that I reared this year in some of P@ynes Nucs, 14x12s. One of the nucs became queen less so I decided to unite them.
All my main hives are jammed full of bees so the only option was to unite them with one of the other p@ynes nucs.

I have some spare 14x12 nucs that are not in use, so I removed 4 of the ekes from them and using news paper on top of the frames of the receiving nuc, after first removing the clear cover board, I then placed the 4 P@ynes ekes on top and moved all the frames from the queen less nuc into the 4 eke space, then fitted the lid. Place a strap around all including the stand to keep from blowing over, then sit back and wait.

I worked a tread and all the parts fit perfectly, that's it... (This is not an add, but may be of help to someone else one day).

That's a good tip.
I wish poly hive manufacturers would make their nucs with a removable floor.
I have a p a r k nuc that does indeed have one but I don't really like the hive itself so never use it

MB Langstroth poly nucs have removable floors. Perhaps they will make a national version.

You are bang on the money there.
Any polynuc makers reading this?
Cazza

Yes I am...

Plan Aaaa
You may split a poly hive with table saw. Then youi glue with polyurethane glue the missing wall from ginstone board.

Do such floors as you liker and covers.

In joining cases you may pile the nucs "douple brood" system 4+4 frames or what ever.

Plan Bee
Orrrrrr. lift the frames to the normal box.

Plan Cee
Shake the bees in front of any hive and they will walk inside

Yes I am...

Plan Aaaa
You may split a poly hive with table saw. Then youi glue with polyurethane glue the missing wall from ginstone board.

"ginstone board?" Sorry Finman, what is this?
Cazza

Carrying on from this idea of uniting nucs, I was thinking how to unite these P@yne nucs onto a nation BB. I will make a cover board with a bee space on the hive side, and then cut a hole in the cover board the same size as the nuc chamber. Attach a few wooden batons on the top face of the cover board to stop the nuc sliding out of place and a bungee strap to hold the nuc to the cover board.
Then use the 4 ekes as in the other unite idea, with news paper under the ekes and over the hole in the modified cover board.

I wish poly hive manufacturers would make their nucs with a removable floor.
I have a p a r k nuc that does indeed have one but I don't really like the hive itself so never use it

I too have both P@rk and Pain.

Despite the nice feeder and the versatility, I plan on unloading the P@rk -- and I have just bought another Pain.
For use as a swarm box and then nuc, I actually think the fixed bottom is one of its attractions.
Sure it imposes some limitations, but I'm happy with the floor being integral.
Just lose the integral feeder, please!

Back