Unite or wait for new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Did an AS on a string colony around 5 weeks ago. The daughter colony has failed to raise a queen (as evidenced by test frame over last week) and is full of stores. I was hoping to have a new queen to introduce to this colony, but when I checked the mating nuc today, I found the queen cell I put in there a few weeks ago has not hatched.

I now have a dilemma...do I unite this colony with its parent ( now on 4 supers, so quite a lifting job), or do I just leave one emergency queen to hatch and see what plays out? I really don't want to end up with laying workers...happened to me last year and it was a pain to solve.

Any advice? I feel like I have to make a quick decision.

Did an AS on a string colony around 5 weeks ago. The daughter colony has failed to raise a queen (as evidenced by test frame over last week) and is full of stores. I was hoping to have a new queen to introduce to this colony, but when I checked the mating nuc today, I found the queen cell I put in there a few weeks ago has not hatched.

I now have a dilemma...do I unite this colony with its parent ( now on 4 supers, so quite a lifting job), or do I just leave one emergency queen to hatch and see what plays out? I really don't want to end up with laying workers...happened to me last year and it was a pain to solve.

Any advice? I feel like I have to make a quick decision.

In this situation I like to unite to freshen up the queenless box prior to splitting again later when I have a queen available. It seems like a lot of work but I think it pays off in the long run.

Latest posts

Back