Ultra cheap warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeperdiverdude

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Thought I would post some pics of the warming cabinet I put together for very little money. The only bought in stuff was two sheets of polystyrene from a well known DIY chain @ £1-98 each.

The sheets were 1200mm by 450mm by 25mm so didnt need mutch cutting as they are almost the same width as a national super.........

1. Place empty super on floor and put a couple of wooden laths across to support honey bucket:

2. Cut polystyrene sheets to correct height for your honey bucket and stand on top of super. I used some long thin nails to hold them in place but gaffer tape would be just as good.

3. Cut polystyrene to form a lid (I had to use two cut-offs taped together).

4. Heat comes from an extension lamp with a 60W bulb. There is no thermostat but with a thermometer and judicial placement of the lid to allow a bit of heat to escape the temperature can be regulated pretty well.

5. If you had enough polystyrene left over you could insulate the "floor" but I was a bit worried the light might melt it.

Anyway it worked a treat.

DDD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back