Type of bee please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
As title Iv only ever seen local dark mongrels got a swarm call and collected these.

They look like mine abit of a mix, queen carniolan and a bit of new zealand,

I would suggest they came from a hive close by the swarm!!

Yea, some of mine look like that with others much different.
Think my three queens were very friendly "game girls"!

One leather band, rest dark is a standard Shropshire mutt too...Amm/Carni mixes, very little Ligustica which is more a trnaslucent yellow. Very occasionally we see two pale stripes in swarms. Our preference is for dark Amm-type and swarms are slowly requeened that way when available (even Amm can't mate in this deluge!)...

...swarms from the Welsh side are often darker (and more genetically interesting)

One leather band, rest dark is a standard Shropshire mutt too...Amm/Carni mixes, very little Ligustica which is more a trnaslucent yellow. Very occasionally we see two pale stripes in swarms.

We picked up a swarm locally which didn't look like our bees - they were lighter and looked translucent - is this what you mean?

I think I managed to snap the queen by accident as she walked up into the hive (centre of second picture), but it's too blurry for me to be sure...

She's totally different in colouration than the workers !
VM

She's totally different in colouration than the workers !
VM

She is indeed - and having cropped the photo down a bit to post it on the forum even I began to feel a bit more confident!

I was a bit surprised to have caught sight of her - they weren't a big swarm, but here's the kind of shot I have been looking through to see if I can find her (beats working... :) )

I would suggest they came from a hive close by the swarm!!

I would have thought so because they look nothing like the local bees and would have thought a feral colony would revert back to local dark mongrel. Unfortunately the people who called me to collect the swarm are unaware of any body keeping bees in their village so I have no way of finding out.

Here's another, which shows them a bit more clearly. My wife boxed them up mid-afternoon and we hived them that evening, so they had had enought time to start building inside the box.

Back