Two part frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tresallier

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I stumbled across an image of a brood frame with two vertical central bars with a bee space- wondered if anyone had tried them ?

as a virgin poster there is an auto restriction on link posting - so remove spaces and replace dot with a period sign.

www dot bbastrodesigns dot com/ Spain2010/ TwoPartFrame.JPG

I hope that doesn't upset the system

My first impression was that that is two frames that the guy is just holding side by side. However, if you enhance the image you'll see it has a single top bar, but with two subframes (and two shorter bottom bars, not just one long bottom bar). The only reason I could think of for such a frame would be to be able to hang such a frame into a split hive.

I didn't think it was a folding frame, because the part where the hinge would be is too small, and if it was a folding frame, it would have been easier to make a hinge at the bottom as well (but this guy deliberately did not).

Based on the size of the guy's hands and the ratio of the height/length of the frame, my guess was that it is a US 1in12 Dadant Deep (what is called Langstroth Jumbo in the UK) (447x287 mm).

I used Google Translate to translate "split frame" and then googled for it. Very interesting... (and it turns out to be Dadant Deep after all):

http://salines.mforos.com/1937061/10463665-medios-cuadros-de-dadant/

The big frame consists of two smaller frames with gaps in their top bars so that you can put two frames side by side, with their top bars overlapping each other, therefore forming a frame of the appropriate size:

235081BB68285002B5952A5002B53D.jpg

Samuel

Very interesting, looks like more diy :D
Mating nucs are on the to do list and these frames just might make sense for what I have in mind.

My first impression was that that is two frames that the guy is just holding side by side. However, if you enhance the image you'll see it has a single top bar, but with two subframes (and two shorter bottom bars, not just one long bottom bar). The only reason I could think of for such a frame would be to be able to hang such a frame into a split hive.

I didn't think it was a folding frame, because the part where the hinge would be is too small, and if it was a folding frame, it would have been easier to make a hinge at the bottom as well (but this guy deliberately did not).

Based on the size of the guy's hands and the ratio of the height/length of the frame, my guess was that it is a US 1in12 Dadant Deep (what is called Langstroth Jumbo in the UK) (447x287 mm).

I used Google Translate to translate "split frame" and then googled for it. Very interesting... (and it turns out to be Dadant Deep after all):

http://salines.mforos.com/1937061/10463665-medios-cuadros-de-dadant/

The big frame consists of two smaller frames with gaps in their top bars so that you can put two frames side by side, with their top bars overlapping each other, therefore forming a frame of the appropriate size:

235081BB68285002B5952A5002B53D.jpg

Samuel

I stand corrected. Very interesting stuff, not seen one of those before thanks.

M

I use them from easy transfer from hive to mating nuc and again to nuc... I don't start circle with virgin queen. I place into strong production hive and get brood, bees and food. Later just dismantle in half frames and put in 5 half frame mating nuc and queen cell as well. I prefer these cause the cluster inside is more "natural" than 3 frames standard lang.

Back