Two different types of bees in adjacent hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Morning all - I have no apologies for asking a basic question - I'm a beginner! Would there be a problem if a hive containing Carniolan bees was sited adjacent to a Buckfast or native bee colony? I suspect not, but I rather not start a local bee war. The reason that's a possibility is that I'm going to install a nuc of Carniolan bees, but may get a swarm of local bees in my other hive. Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

Google "aggression of crosses" and "F2 aggression"
The OP is not asking about cross breeding, simply if they get get along living next to each other.....I am ok with my neighbours so long as they don't enter my property🤣

They should happily coexist, one though will have no control of cross mating if the occassion arrives so a hybrid will become the trend .

They should happily coexist, one though will have no control of cross mating if the occassion arrives so a hybrid will become the trend .

I'm sure I read somewhere that queens and drones travel different distances to mate (an evolutionary trait that helps to avoid cross-breeding?). I can't recall where at the moment, but if so the OP would end up with a hybrid of his bees and some other random colonies rather than of both his own?

James

I'm sure I read somewhere that queens and drones travel different distances to mate (an evolutionary trait that helps to avoid cross-breeding?). I can't recall where at the moment, but if so the OP would end up with a hybrid of his bees and some other random colonies rather than of both his own?

James
Yes. I think there is a consensus that Amm may prefer vicinity mating while carnies and buckies will travel longer distances.
Let's be honest though, with 1 hive of each type any virgin from these hives is unlikely to mate with the other drones. Even when you flood an area with selected drones you don't get 100% success!

Back