Twins or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
because the queen mates with different drones can the emergence of the full grown honey bee (workers) be considered as twins or triplets etc to each other? Same mother same father in batches of sperm being used.
I do not know the answer to this .

because the queen mates with different drones can the emergence of the full grown honey bee (workers) be considered as twins or triplets etc to each other? Same mother same father in batches of sperm being used.
Basic biology Mo:).
Identical twins are the product of a divided egg and is a mammalian thing .
Non identical twins are the product of two separate eggs(embryos ) implanted in the womb !
A bee egg fertilised by 2 spermatozoa would have two larvae hatching in a single cell , I for one have never seen this happen .
Maybe possible I suppose and then swiftly removed by the bees ? that bit I know nowt of :)#

VM

Workers fathered by the same drone are considered super-sisters.

talking of unfortunate genetics - have a hive with loads of ginger drones.

should i practice a bit of eugenics? cleanse the gene pool? i'd imagine that it is illegal to sell honey that has been tainted by the presence of gingers in the hive.

talking of unfortunate genetics - have a hive with loads of ginger drones.

should i practice a bit of eugenics? cleanse the gene pool? i'd imagine that it is illegal to sell honey that has been tainted by the presence of gingers in the hive.

Ginger mingers are to be discouraged asap :sifone:

VM

Ginger mingers are to be discouraged asap :sifone:

VM

I agree. My last two boyfriends have been gingers, and they are neither use nor ornament ;)

Saying that, I had bright ginger hair when I was a kid, but it darkened to brown as i grew. Currently, it is purple. If you spot any purple bees, they are very hard workers you know.....vicious stings though ;)

"My last two boyfriends have been gingers"

was that just some form of social service you were providing or are you subtly admitting a guilty secret?

I agree. My last two boyfriends have been gingers, and they are neither use nor ornament ;)

Saying that, I had bright ginger hair when I was a kid, but it darkened to brown as i grew. Currently, it is purple. If you spot any purple bees, they are very hard workers you know.....vicious stings though ;)

The beauty of Sepia printing , the guess is your's :smilielol5:

VMasaNipper001-1.jpg

VM as a Nipper

VM

they ran from Oct 1959 to June 2006 so i could be anything from 5 to 51!!!!

so not half as revealing as a sepia photo - is it a print or glass plate type????

Haha, little cutey weren't you VM :D

Dr Stitson, it was a concern of mine for a while that it may be some kind of trend. Hopefully, it's been put an end to now lol......hopefully :eek:

I've one hive of ginger mingers and the other of near-native darkies - very interesting to see how different they are. The near-natives are out working in almost any weather from dawn to dusk and are very docile, the gingers are lie-abeds and only peek out if the sun's shining, and are a little more aggressive. Dare I admit I culled the ginger drones?
As for the twin thing, I'm a twin mum anyway so a few more are only to be welcomed!

Latest posts

Back