Turfor winch size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
i am looking to winch over a tree, i have brought it down to 2m high and have another tree to winch it over from, what size of winch am i looking at.

i was looking at hiring a turfor rated for four ton for the day.

what size do other people normal use

the tree is a laylandee by the way

Depends on the girth of the tree and the soil type, as the root system will have a great influence on the pull required. I would have left the stump taller as the leverage you need now will now be greater. Have you thought of cutting the tree to the ground and have the stump ground out.

no access to the rear garden by any form of equipment like mini/micro diggers or stump grinders, sorry its a straight winch of leave it job.

2m is the highest i was able to leave it. the tree its self is only 300mm diameter its just a scabby laylandee so i was hoping that it is fairly shallow rooted

if i cut it ground level i will have to sort some way of accelerating its rot down though, i will not be able to burn it due to hedges near by though

Another method would be to cut to ground level and drill holes in the stump as deep as possible and fill with either Roundup or Brush wood Killer. Cork the holes and fill up when necessary, best to do this in the spring when the phloem and vascular system of the tree are working.

I have removed a leylandii the same size by digging round the trunk (pickaxe ) and chopping through the roots - which are shallow..

Bit messy but took under an hour...

have done a fair amount of tree winching myself, a 4 ton winch will be adequate for that diameter. (have pulled trees more than twice that diameter with a 4 ton) The problem is more often what to anchor the winch to!

A good tip is to cut the lateral roots on the side away from the winch, but you can save time and effort by not worrying about the ones on the side towards the winch. Those latter roots will also help with the following...

Stack some offcuts (of the main trunk) against the base of the stump on the winch side, and rope or wedge them in place if need be. Then as the stump starts to pull towards the winch, it will lever over the offcuts and instead of the winch pull on the tap root being parallel with the ground, it'll start levering the pull upwards making the root extraction easier.

have done a fair amount of tree winching myself, a 4 ton winch will be adequate for that diameter. (have pulled trees more than twice that diameter with a 4 ton) The problem is more often what to anchor the winch to!

A good tip is to cut the lateral roots on the side away from the winch, but you can save time and effort by not worrying about the ones on the side towards the winch. Those latter roots will also help with the following...

Stack some offcuts (of the main trunk) against the base of the stump on the winch side, and rope or wedge them in place if need be. Then as the stump starts to pull towards the winch, it will lever over the offcuts and instead of the winch pull on the tap root being parallel with the ground, it'll start levering the pull upwards making the root extraction easier.

Good tips. Just don't use a chainsaw to cut the roots otherwise you will accelerate chain and guide bar wear etc- dirt and grit will get into it.

I always exert a pull on leylandii's when topping them, to ensure that they don't fall into the road etc.

Not having a turfor, what I use are lorry tie-down straps - the one's I have are rated at 2 tons working, and only 1 is needed for that token pull.

2rmnwoj.jpg

But - I once pulled a weeping willow over, using 2 - side by side - winch with one, then hold. Then release the other and winch with that one, and so on. Takes a fair time to cover any distance - but when it's only one tree ...

Pity your's has been cut down to 2 m - as the higher the tree, the more leverage you can get.

LJ

Just don't use a chainsaw to cut the roots otherwise you will accelerate chain and guide bar wear etc- dirt and grit will get into it.

worth keeping an old bar and worn out chain for that sort of thing...
just swap them over for the "dirty" jobs, ok it doesn't cut as clean or as quick, but still quicker and less effort than using an axe.

yes i realize that a full height tree is best for leverage. but due to the construction of the tree it was not possible, it was not a solid single trunk it was 8 separate ones, the 2m mark is where the stems start to split.

i shall try the four ton and will see, i dont own a dirty set of parts for the chainsaw , so i wont use it .

as for the winch point i have a 400mm round sycamore trunk to use, the best thing is its coming out as well so no worry about the damage to it.

trying to drop them before the sap starts is the main issue, once down i can quickly process them into logs

the amount of light even dropping one has done is amazing

Glad i missed this as if you have to ask you really shouldnt be doing it. Winching is very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

Latest posts

Back