Tricky swarm collection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This has apparently taken residence here since Saturday, very residential, in a square surrounded by houses. I guess they are already building comb and are settling in.

Any advice on how best to re-house them? Would they run into a closely placed hive with the aid of some smoke and a bed sheet?

Attachments

• 20170711_155054b.jpg
    20170711_155054b.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 109
This has apparently taken residence here since Saturday, very residential, in a square surrounded by houses. I guess they are already building comb and are settling in.

Any advice on how best to re-house them? Would they run into a closely placed hive with the aid of some smoke and a bed sheet?
I had a similar situation last year. I used my bee brush and fashioned a cardboard receptacle to wrap around the bottom under the swarm I just sprayed them with plenty of water then brushed them into the cardboard and tipped them Ito a nuc next to the base of the bush. Luckily I had the queen and they all walked in after that.
I have since made a bee vacuum but haven't had the opportunity to use it so far this year.

I helped with something similar we put some feremoan in the nuk and kept spraying the bees with sugar syrup kept them quiet ish as we swept them into a bucket and then put them in the nuk.

Hard to tell from the photo - are the bees on branches which are live ie part of a tree or shrub or dead limbs which are already cut ?

If the branches can be picked up one at a time, you can just knock most of them off in to a cardboard box - you'll lose any comb they've already made and they are going to be grumpy of course - so best not to do it if there are other people nearby.

A small bow saw and a large container, then you might be able to move them comb and all - depends mainly on the logistics really.

You could try a frame of dark brood comb, last year I did similar and the first introduction of the frame, the queen was the first to walk on it. You could try a hive of old brood frames or a nuc of old brood frames. The bees walk onto the frames and if you are lucky you may get the queen. You do need to be patient.

I have straightened the picture and to me it does not look too bad.

20170711_155054b_zpsjzuxq65z.jpg

Would they run into a closely placed hive with the aid of some smoke and a bed sheet?
I've placed a hive/nuc with comb inside as close as I could to awkward swarms in the past. It's worked more often than it hasn't. Not 100% by any means, but least effort approach before trying smoke/sheets/witchcraft.

See these type of swarms regularly. Similar advice to Beefreindly. Lean box of drawn combs on its side against tree stump and bees usually walk in encouraged by skillfull use of smoker.

All sorted, much easier than expected. Chucked a few handful of bees in the Nuc box - along with the queen I guess and the rest followed. Left them to come and go until 9pm and took them away.

Back