Triangular sieve rest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I once saw a triangular sieve rest for raising the sieves when filling a 30lb bucket in a bee magazine. I thought what a great idea. I will make one of those, so that I can fill the bucket up when sieving honey. But I am not very good at Maths to work out what size it should be, other than by trial and error. I just wanted to know if anyone has one, or has made one, what should be the length of the wood on each side of the equilateral triangle. Thank you.

three and a half times the radius of the sieves, that is if you want the support to just touch the sieve.

My advice is forget it.

I use a standard S/S kitchen sieve hooked over the bucket lip.

Yes, I cannot completely fill the bucket - but unless I were to leave the extractor honey valve open, I cannot overflow the bucket. One bucket can be used to top up any that are nearly full (saves getting honey on the lips of all the buckets) or filled carefully later.

RAB

My advice is forget it.

I use a standard S/S kitchen sieve hooked over the bucket lip.

Yes, I cannot completely fill the bucket - but unless I were to leave the extractor honey valve open, I cannot overflow the bucket. One bucket can be used to top up any that are nearly full (saves getting honey on the lips of all the buckets) or filled carefully later.

RAB

Pretty much the same as RAB says. I did an extraction run last weekend and came to the conclusion that when I had filled a bucket to the bottom of the sieve I would start a new bucket and then tip some carefully into the 1st to top it up!

That is what I do now, but you always neeed spare buckets, and I just thought it would be a good solution. I might be locked up for forcing the children to hold the sieves above the buckets for hours on end!

I'd like to try, so thanks Ruary, I'll try with your suggestion.

Do you have experience of overflowing a bucket of honey then, O2O?

Do you have experience of overflowing a bucket of honey then, O2O?

Presume that was aimed at me (even though the 9 is a long way from the 2 on my keyboard!)

In short, not now. But not so far off. Leaving the valve open and over-flowing was part of my learning experience, a long time ago. Fortunately, very little on the floor! IIRC, it was a Kenwood Chef mixer bowl, but it matters not.

I now know how much honey there might be in the extractor and make certain I am there if using 10l buckets. Otherwise, I use a bigger bucket! I try not to repeat the same mistakes.

RAB

redwood that looks ideal!

Latest posts

Back