Trees and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignoring other flowering plants for the moment, how many mature flowering trees does each full colony of bees need, for pollen and nectar?

There is, surely, no real answer to this.
You would need an arboretum of trees each flowering successively from February to October.

These you would have to share with bees other than your own too.
Also you would have the impossible task of factoring in the erratic availability of nectar production depending on so many things.....think Tilia,for example.

Finman is right....lotto is easier

You would need an arboretum of trees each flowering successively from February to October.
An site close to a "park" with many mature flowering trees and very large shrubs, that flower one after the other throughout the year, or maybe deciduous woodland?

From what I can remember, a mature tree in flower is equivalent to an acre field in flower..
Would that mean (using Ted Hooper's suggestion) one, maybe two, hives per mature tree whilst they're in flower?

Is that a good rough guide to follow?

These you would have to share with bees other than your own too.
Also you would have the impossible task of factoring in the erratic availability of nectar production depending on so many things.....think Tilia,for example.
er

I planted couple Tilias 15 years ago. Now they are 7 m high and they have had so much flowers that a single bee may clean flowers a day.

I have noticed better to fertilize flowering trees in neighbours forests. For example wild appletrees are good objects.

A bush Rhamnus frangula is a good fertilazing object. It blooms all the time 3 months up to Autumn frost.

Latest posts

Back