Tree ID

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarm

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies first as no photo, unfortunately. I will do my best to describe this tree, seen today in Dinas Powys.
This is a small tree, very profuse foliage and plastered with very small flowers, similar to Jasmine in shape but the darkest burgundy so as to appear almost black until close up. The leaves are about two inches long and the edges are wavy.
No bee activity but there were no bees on Crab Apple either today, I've just never seen one before.

Sounds like a pittosporum. I had one in the garden in Teddington. Absolutely intoxicating scent from the flowers in the evening.

Pittosporum Tenuifolium . Spot on!! :)
Though it was a much better example than any of the images on goggle, this one was absolutely covered in blossom.

Sounds like a pittosporum. I had one in the garden in Teddington. Absolutely intoxicating scent from the flowers in the evening.

:iagree:

Nice little folded back flowers for the bees to get their tongues into, plenty of nectar. They love it.

Last edited:
Back