Too late to introduce new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyd20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I have a queenless hive from a split i made a about a month and a half ago. On both occasions, when I gave them frames of open brood, the queens that emerged did not seem to make it back from their mating flights or did not emerge. Either way the hive is queenless and the bees that are present are all at least 30 days old.

My question is, should I just combine this hive with another one or is it possible for me to introduce a mated queen, and still allow the bees enough time to build up enough winter bees to survive the winter?
My drones seemed to have been booted out, since I could not see any during my inspection today, so giving them another frame of eggs is not an option.

The reason I have left this so late is that I have been out of the country for the last month, and was hoping there would be a laying queen when I returned yesterday. The queen cells that were present would have emerged around the 6th August, which is almost exactly a month.

I'm sure this is a common dilemma, but with it already being September I just wanted to ask, as hopefully some of you have had the same problem.

Last edited:
Given queens are likely to have emerged a month ago could mean your new queen has yet to come in to lay so you may not be queenless. I would give it another week.

We have had a really cool spell while you have been away, if she was going to mate then this week would have been favourite!
E

You can introduce a new queen at any time of year, providing the colony is in a suitable condition.

:iagree:

Just introduced one to a colont this week - QC side of an A/S end of July with a dud new queen. They are a strong colony and it seemed a shame just to unite them elsewhere.

Hivemaker is so completely correct! Just be aware to take note of those two important words - 'providing' and 'suitable'.

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that this is not crazy talk.
It seemed like a waste to just unite them.

I think that I will do as Fatbee suggested and wait some time to see if there is actually a queen coming into lay. I have read some people post here that some queens can start >30 days, and with the recent bad weather it could be a possibility.
I just hope there were some drones around for her, as mine seemed to be gone now.

Many thanks for the advice.

One thing though, could you please expand on what you mentioned about the colony being in a suitable condition?

Latest posts

Back