Too late to feed light syrup now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy syrup. I didn't think that was rocket science, given that the virtues of light versus heavy had been discussed in the immediately preceding posts. So this was that a comment that, whether or not it makes a difference to how bees decide whether to build comb or store, the higher water content of light syrup is a useful thing in this heat.

Nobody else seems to have had a problem with this concept or the way it was expressed.

Perhaps you could add a warning to your profile so that people know to use shorter words and sentences when you're around. Meanwhile, here's some help with your reading problems: http://grammatology.co.uk/resources/ten-use-comma/ The difference between points 2 and 5 are what you seem to have been struggling with.

of course light syrup has a higher water content than heavy syrup - regardless of temperature. Twice as much in fact!
Am I missing something here or have I just stepped into the matrix?

the higher water content of light syrup is a useful thing in this heat.

Do expound further on the why it is.
If you are thinking along the same line as me then it's pretty obvious why it is beneficial in this heat.
Oh and keep your petty insults for the kindergarten you recently graduated from...there's a good boy!

The bees really don't give a damn whether it's light or heavy. If they want to draw comb they will, if they want to store syrup, they will - there is nothing we can do to force them otherwise just by changing the water content.
I give my bees invert regardless of the time of year, in the summer, they will draw comb with it, in the winter - store.

That’s my experience too
If I want to make sure they don’t draw fill as they draw I just feed incrementally in 2 litre instalments.
Putting an empty frame or a frame of foundation in the middle of the brood gets them drawing it

Do expound further on the why it is.
If you are thinking along the same line as me then it's pretty obvious why it is beneficial in this heat.
Oh and keep your petty insults for the kindergarten you recently graduated from...there's a good boy!

You wasted the last page with pettiness and misguided pedantry, for no obvious reason. Don't be surprised if it irks the people you target.

So yes, more water in the feeder means less urgency to find it elsewhere, in condition where water might be more needed and harder to find.

If that's what you already understood, why waste the last page on pointless distraction?

Higher water content than what?

If that's what you already understood, why waste the last page on pointless distraction?
It's not me that needed to understand it ...you sometimes need to explain in simple terms so everybody else can understand why light syrup might be more beneficial in hot weather.

Last edited:
Sheesh, you could just have said so. If you thought I wasn't saying enough, I certainly thought you weren't. OK, I'll drop back to defcon 5.

Sheesh, you could just have said so. If you thought I wasn't saying enough, I certainly thought you weren't. OK, I'll drop back to defcon 5.
Thank the Lord for small mercies.:thanks:

That’s my experience too
If I want to make sure they don’t draw fill as they draw I just feed incrementally in 2 litre instalments.
Putting an empty frame or a frame of foundation in the middle of the brood gets them drawing it

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

Erica, darling heart,

Don't you realise this is a thread about English grammar, not beekeeping?

:judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge:

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

Erica, darling heart,

Don't you realise this is a thread about English grammar, not beekeeping?

:judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge::judge:

Yes ... another thread trashed with a nit picking pointles argument about a point of irrelevance ... seems to be a rather common event ....

Most of us understood exactly where itsbruce was coming from ...

Yes ... another thread trashed with a nit picking pointles argument about a point of irrelevance.

Actually Paul, it's not an irrelevant point. Evaporating water from more dilute sugar solutions (or dilute nectar) helps in cooling hives in this hot weather. It just wasn't explained well. Less water to be evaporated from heavy syrup...Noteworthy that your contribution has added nothing.....apart from a minor increase in your trolling index.

:iagree:
Yes ... another thread trashed with a nit picking pointles argument about a point of irrelevance ... seems to be a rather common event ....

Most of us understood exactly where itsbruce was coming from ...

I don't know what's going on at the moment. It's starting to seem as though anything, even grammar or unshared humour, will provide an excuse for unfriendly comments at the least.

its becoming very tiresome

I don't know what's going on at the moment....

It's because "Admins" dead ... what other explanation can there be? Anyway he/she/it left us with an Announcement, here,
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/announcement.php?f=2

don't worry about reading it all I'll copy & paste the relevant part to this thread;

Some posts or replies can have wording that can easily go over the heads of younger members, ... generally speaking we are adults to the most parts - ... any member at any age has equal protection against offensive content.

BE KIND and INTERACT, NOT REACT. AGREE TO DISAGREE EVEN IF ATTACKED BY ANOTHER MEMBER - WE WILL HANDLE THE OTHER MEMBER.
(this bit proves that the "Admin" has kicked the bucket!)

If you don't agree with someone's view, EXPRESS your views rather than tear down theirs. You have the option on EVERY POST to report that post to admin, use this to quickly make us aware of a possible problem, we will take it from there.

Personal attacks, threats, flaming, harassment of others, arguments, trolling, bullying or other forms of disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Be kind to other members
, do not put them down, bait them into fighting or do anything to create a fight whether in open forum or private messaging. Trashing another member will surely lead you toward the banishment door quickly. New members are expected to abide by the same rules as seasoned members. We believe that Ignorance of a rule is NO excuse to break it – you are expected to read the bylaws and strictly abide by them.

*A good forum adage is to always kick the ball not the player when replying to a thread that has a topic you feel strongly about.

RIP "Admin" you will be sorely missed....

Last edited:
TooBee,

Might I suggest, in light of recent information, that you seriously consider what you are writing, before hitting the enter button?

TooBee,

Might I suggest, in light of recent information, that you seriously consider what you are writing, before hitting the enter button?

Yes indeed

I have PMd TooBee to explain though not in too much detail as I’m sure Mark wouldn’t appreciate tittle tattle.

It shouldn’t be needed nevertheless
This place used to be about bees

TooBee,

???
From reading between the lines I may have missed something, you guys do know that I am being sarcastic, very much so!?

It's just from the day and hour from when I first visited this forum and after (some months later I joined), there has been a modest low level trolling and aggression amongst some of the members (growing in recent months to quite high levels), some (many) of us have complained ... to the best of our knowledge nothing has been done ? = we stop complaining. So I thought a little sarcasm might make us all re-think why we're here. The notoriety of this forum has even been mentioned in my Association's meetings - that's saying something considering they're not too computer literate!

Edit: I now realise that my jesting and sarcasm was in the worst possible taste, and unfortunately I cannot edit the 'bad taste' post ie: delete it, so I offer my fullest apologies, sorry...

Guys, seriously we (me) should try and maybe regulate ourselves, a gentle kind comment might settle a situation down and hopefully prevent it from getting out of hand.

Last edited:
Back