Too late to add supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
All three colonies have been incredibly light until about 2 weeks ago.

But now they all seem to be on the ivy flow and if anything are too full.

I don't have any drawn super frames - an I right in thinking it is too late to add a super? If anything I'd add one to the poly nuc to give them more depth of stores

I'm just slightly concerned that they will run out of space as 20 degree heat arrives.

Steve

Definitely too late to add supers, the bees are winding down, preparing for winter and decreasing in number. In a previous post you have been using the green jumbo feeders and now ivy is coming in. For your nuc I'd suggest feeding with sugar syrup and if you are using a super without frames and then if you think it is still light add fondant above a crownboard and insulate the roof.

Thanks.

The nuc is a maisemore poly so will just keep the feeder in place to keep them topped up for a bit.

I was just half fretting about the other hives launching a late swarm.

Bees a tricky - it seems like every inspection they conspire to make me imagine some problem or other! Too light...too full...wasps...hornets...robbing... its brilliant!

Be content that they have plenty of stores to over winter on without you having to buy sugar. If they need space come spring you can remove some frames at that time and keep them to feed nucs. My colonies overwinter on Ivy no problem. Ivy honey isn't the most pleasant of flavours to try and get a crop from.

Latest posts

Back