Too early for a shook swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2: The NBU leaflet does have a disclaimer. In the second video I hope they do an update confirming nosema. All the dead bees were probably covering the entrance stopping them from their cleansing flights.

indeed
www.nationalbeeunit.com/downloadDocument.cfm?id=1075

1. When can I do it?
The best time to carry out a Shook Swarm procedure is mid-March to mid-July, depending on the locality. It is usually too cool for bees to effectively draw new comb before March and the loss of brood may be detrimental at that time. If carried out later than July then brood that would take the colony into the winter is destroyed. If the colony is strong you can carry out this procedure in early March, but remember you will need to feed sugar syrup so that the bees can build comb.

I remember this video being spotted by someone on here at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXCx20RYUA

Ergh, horrid, how were they able to let that happen?

If it's starvation and they were robbed in spring then I can only imagine they were a weak and underfed colony going into winter. But he says he fed and treated them a few weeks ago and they were alive.

Is there a thread on here that discusses that video's dead-out?

And a shook swarm...?! I daren't even pull a single frame yet!!

In one of the videos they are feeding syrup mid Feb. I can't imagine that helped the nosema problems.

In one of the videos they are feeding syrup mid Feb. I can't imagine that helped the nosema problems.

They actually remove fondant to put on the liquid feeder.

Just looking at first impressions;

They all have names like; Kizz, Fem, & Ewan. Presumably Tarquin Alisdair & Sefton are busy on a new age tree hugging course, (all sponsored by local agencies seeking second hand Green Accreditation).

The Stars&Stripes flies in the background although I doubt they support the most recent president?

None are wearing Full PPE, has anyone counted how often they get stung just look at how pink their hands are by the end of it all? :smilielol5:

Also looks like the garden weeds are well established. We should just be thankful they don't live next-door to us!:party:

Almost forgot;
What about those legs on the stands?
:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Last edited:
Just looking at first impressions;

They all have names like; Kizz, Fem, & Ewan. Presumably Tarquin Alisdair & Sefton are busy on a new age tree hugging course, (all sponsored by local agencies seeking second hand Green Accreditation).

The Stars&Stripes flies in the background although I doubt they support the most recent president?

None are wearing Full PPE, has anyone counted how often they get stung just look at how pink their hands are by the end of it all? :smilielol5:

Also looks like the garden weeds are well established. We should just be thankful they don't live next-door to us!:party:

I never wear full PPE..

Decent bees don't require it.

I never wear full PPE..

Decent bees don't require it.

Yes but define "Decent Bees"?

Even when they get poked around like that?

If it's warm still and they're in a good mood, for popping a super on I might just might put a veil on.

But a shook swarm???
Wouldn't be doing it in budgie smugglers & flipflops!

About on a par with "bees rob" (or roblynmouth as he called himself - his videos are still on line, I think). Anyone remember him?

Other end of the season, but about as stupid as one can get. Sadly that type of beekeeper is all too common. Clearly non-thinkers, among other descriptions. Doubtless there are a few on the forum who might take heed of how stupid some beekeepers are - yet think themselves wonderful.

it gets worse...as in sterilizing frames and boxes with "hot scalding water (we need to use gloves it's that hot") then they "scorch the whole lot" and "hopefully, any AFB, EFB or other any nasties ....are gone"

No mention that it is a legal requirement to notify the Disease Inspectorate of the two specified diseases (he knows it exists as he refers to inspectors, positively!, in a shed talk).

Is there anyone local who can have a quiet word with this guy, give him the mentoring he so desperately needs - in the interests of the bees, new beekeepers and existing beekeepers in his area?

Last edited:
It's good to know that most of us here understand what is good and what is bad beekeeping.

Hey, look on the bright side. A thread that runs to eight pages and has even the usual suspects in agreement. Not one person arguing against the OP. When was the last time that happened?

Hey, look on the bright side. A thread that runs to eight pages and has even the usual suspects in agreement. Not one person arguing against the OP. When was the last time that happened?

No matchstick videos?

At least with the video being removed it won't encourage inexperienced beeks doing shook swarms in cold weather conditions, its supposed to be down to 1c here tonight.

There's nothing like admitting defeat gracefully is there and that is nothing like it.

I didn't see the comments so can't really make a judgement although suspect many were pointing out the error of their ways. I know one at least offered to do some training.

More likely didn't want to let potential funders see it or comments.

Maybe this threat should come up on a search for Apiary Shed or Bee Educated .co .uk

This funny answer:

Me
jarmo henttu

best you can do was to remove it.

Kizz1 hour ago

video was removed to prevent some internet users taking advantage of other people's work for their own vile ends. If you do not like my work, please block my channel. I don't care if you are offended, that is something you would have to deal with yourself.

next :

jarmo henttu

I am not offended. You just killed that hive. That is all.

Back