Today's mystery hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently large quantities of honey are produced, and they have no disease problems....

What is "large quantities" of honey? Some people think 20kgs is a lot, some 200kgs. How does his yield compare to people keeping bees in a different way in a similar environment?

It's a pretty meaningless statement.

Also if you're not inspecting or looking at your hives more than once a year - how would you know if you had disease problems?

If you'd care to visit Oscar Perone's site which is linked to earlier in the thread, you can read "chapter and verse"

Regarding bee inspectors wanting to inspect bees.

Does anyone know the status of a feral colony living under the eaves or in a tree in the garden? I know of at least half a dozen within a mile of me. Never heard of a bee inspector wanting to look at one, even when foulbrood appears in the area. Anyway, it seems to me this Perone hive is no more or less a risk to neighbouring colonies than a feral.

If you'd care to visit Oscar Perone's site which is linked to earlier in the thread, you can read "chapter and verse"

Sorry got distracted by the dowsing link on his site...

While I haven't yet been to Argentina the way he keeps bees is very similar (well the same as far as I can tell) to what I've seen in Cuba and Central America.

I like the idea of this hive. Beekeeping, but not doing anything lol

The video (in HD)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9uVzPgfnM4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9uVzPgfnM4[/ame]

Only hives I saw in Cuba were Langstroth.

What amuses me is people expecting things to work in the UK climate which work in seriously different climates.

PH

If you watch the video, they do mention that this hive is used in parts of Argentina where the weather is remarkably similar to our own, and they are also using European bees. Oscar Perone used Langstroth parts as they were easily available, and is also working with several universities in the area.

Last edited:
Pity they skipped the roof construction it looked as though it had some sort of ventilation with the three components that made up the top of the hive.

My understanding is that the only "ventilation" is the entrance

I just looked at the end of the vid again Brosville and it looks as though it has no top ventilation after all, its just that they have slightly different sizes at the roof, pity though they missed that bit.

I would suggest that it is reasonable that bee inspectors should familiarise themselves with ALL hive types and management techniques - this as far as I know is the first "Automatic Hive" in the country, so it's early days yet as this is really a "prototype" to see if Perone's hive and techniques work in this country - "leading edge" stuff

Is this the first practical example of shroedinger's beekeeping in the uk?

Were all experts at this technique now as none of us have looked inside it but can confidently proclaim them free of disease.

This could catch on, it's easy.

its definitely not for me, I enjoy opening up the hives and looking at the frames of bees, they fascinate me, fanning dancing etc there is always something to enjoy, not looking at the bees ever, just couldnt go there.
In fact to me I might just as well give up beekeeping if I was forced to have these hives , only my opinion

I am now looking for some HUGE hollow trees
Next spring I am going to make the biggest and bestest bait sausages ever AND include some live wax moth coccoons, and bait up them there trees.
Come autumn. before the Ivy flow, I will take my chainsaw to said trees and cut off some sections that can be harvested for super comb honey and then ... fitted with toffee apple sticks... be refitted for next season......

In the meantime I will be spending the summer cruising on my yacht in the Med on the proceeds from selling all the WBCs Nationals etc etc!!!

Naked of course... sailing the natural way !! not worthy

I am now looking for some HUGE hollow trees
Next spring I am going to make the biggest and bestest bait sausages ever AND include some live wax moth coccoons, and bait up them there trees.
Come autumn. before the Ivy flow, I will take my chainsaw to said trees and cut off some sections that can be harvested for super comb honey and then ... fitted with toffee apple sticks... be refitted for next season......

In the meantime I will be spending the summer cruising on my yacht in the Med on the proceeds from selling all the WBCs Nationals etc etc!!!

Naked of course... sailing the natural way !! not worthy

LMAO:cheers2:

Would that be a Worry Hive then? And was the box generally treated with bees wax and linseed oil, or disdain?

Imagine that at the bottom of the garden for a year or two and it suddenly gets a bit edgy, dinging the neighbours. It would take some shifting in the back of the motor.

Back