To inspect or not to inspect

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi - it's been a week since I installed the nucs - and I havent opened up the hives yet (Although I did place inspection boards yesterday).

The weather forecast suggests that there may be a dry spell this afternoon in Kent, and then rain for the rest of the week.

So shall I do a proper inspection today (if it stops raining) or should I wait until next week?

Thanks

Marc

If weather ok and bees flying - a quick peep to see if they need extending will be ok.
But remember the golden rule. Look only if there is a bee need not a beekeeper curiosity.

well, i'd like to check and make sure they're settling in, building new comb, new brood etc

Try to get into the habit of opening your hive for a reason. For example to check if the queen is laying, or to check for queen cells.
Once that reason has been established close it up, the only underlying thing you should always check for is disease. So, as Leo says, what are you going to check for? And when you find it what are you going to do? When you have done it, that's it. Close the hive up.
Or is it just for experience in handling bees! No problem with that but try and be as gentle as possible. You have a queen now, don't lose her just because you are interested in what might be going on in there
:)
E

I really just want to make sure they're thriving since I installed the nuc frames last tuesday.

I saw the queens for both hives at the time, so I want to see evidence of new eggs, comb etc.

As long as you have left them plenty of foundation to draw - leave them. Otherwise, if you only gave them a few frames to draw and dummied the rest of the hive down,just quickly open up, look down between the frames they have - if they're still undrawn, leave them if they're drawn, put another frame in then close up. no need to lift frames or anything.

Or....... If it is your first bees......go into them and enjoy the moment. Just this once!
E

One of the important checks is whether there is sufficient stores until the next inspection. Not knowing the details of your colony, as received, just makes me wonder whether you do.

One of the important checks is whether there is sufficient stores until the next inspection. Not knowing the details of your colony, as received, just makes me wonder whether you do.

Are you asking whether they have stores or whether I know if they have stores?

When I installed the nucs I gave them a rapid feeder full of syrup each. I checked this the other day and there was plenty remaining.

Latest posts

Back