Three days.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Had a call from a lady today who wanted a swarm collected from her garden...Most insistant that they were not to be killed....She said they'd been there for three days.....

could be two different swarms a few days apart... they seem to like to use the same locations.

I've collected three swarms from the same bush in the last fortnight.

could be two different swarms a few days apart... they seem to like to use the same locations.

I've collected three swarms from the same bush in the last fortnight.

Better than 1 swarm from three different bushes..

possible they have chosen the bush as home and started putting up comb, did one like this last week,

Three days is not that exceptional. Uncommon, yes, but not exceptional. Put it down to the weather being really carp, maybe? Or other colonies outing the scouts them from their preferred choice of accommodation? Might be a part of a swarm that got split and the other part left for new pastures? Maybe, even, the queen has had a coronary and pegged? Could perhaps make up a few more reasons.....

I collected a swarm a couple of weeks ago that had been in a garden for three days. They started off on a trampoline, their newly acquired owner decided if he knocked them off they might go away. Instead they sat on the floor for two days. Luckily a mutual friend saw them in the garden upon visiting her friend and contacted me. Was a good sized prime swarm, and doing very well now.

Back