Thorne's versus Mann Lake National Brood Boxes and Supers ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
So any opinions, on the quality of Thorne's versus Mann Lake National Brood Boxes and Supers ?

Mann Lake have them in stock at Cedar £17 and £12 (flat) which is the cheapest I've seen around on line, plus delivery, and seem to have them at this price all year, not just sale time...

Thorne's second quality, are not going appear again until the October sale!

Comments, Views, and Opinions ?

You won't get a better first quality mass produced box than big T. But you pays your money....

If the seconds from big T are more than stisfactory, then wait. I would be looking carefully at the construction of anything of US origin.

Buy enough from big T and they will be carriage free.

Never bought from anywhere else than big T.

Tough, if you need them now. Thinking ahead can pay dividends.

Check for yourself but I don't think Mann Lake are doing standard national sizes. They appear to be offering what they refer to as hybrid nationals. I emailed them about a month ago and asked them what the dimensions of their hybrid nationals were and I had a rather evasive reply. I suspect they are designed to a depth that suits their plastic foundation which I also suspect is a langstroth depth but cut to national widths.
Could be wrong if anyone knows different!

Just editing this post. I see they are now offering standard national sizes!

Last edited:
I've just ordered a £12.00 Mann Lake national flat packed super to see what the competitions like for the money.

I'll report back as soon as it arrived tomorrow or Thursday.

If anyone has already got them please let us know wha they are like.

Never used them and never will we all complain about how we used to be a great contry but now we just buy every thing in from over seas so I'm proud to buy from big T and not let the yank big dogs push us out of another industry

I bought 10 super plastic foundation sheets from Mann Lake at the Convention.

I can be as fuddy duddy as anyone about traditional materials, but I decided to put prejudice to one side and try a super's worth to see how it goes.

It was awkward, but not impossible, to fit their sheets into National super frames.
Their sheets are slightly narrower and slightly deeper than national foundation sheets.
The width doesn't really matter, but the depth is more awkward.
There is a tiny flat edge round the sheets. You have to balance one on a bottom bar and the other on the edge of the top bar. It just fits.
Then, you fix the loose brace on the top bar but at 90 degrees to its normal placing - i.e. slightly projecting down the foundation sheet. Then you can - just - put a nail in, at an angle, through the brace bar and plastic foundation, into the body of the cross bar.
Three of these fix the sheet in firmly.
Lastly, fix the other bottom bar.

As I said, fiddly but possible.

I'll let you know how the bees take to it.

Dusty

Never used them and never will we all complain about how we used to be a great contry but now we just buy every thing in from over seas so I'm proud to buy from big T and not let the yank big dogs push us out of another industry

I'm with you on this one. I have no intention of moving away from T or P or other small suppliers.
Cazza

I saw the Mann Lake hybrid nationals, thought they were totally pointless.

I've just ordered a £12.00 Mann Lake national flat packed super to see what the competitions like for the money.

I'll report back as soon as it arrived tomorrow or Thursday.

If anyone has already got them please let us know wha they are like.

as my father (a master carpenter) would say - rough as a badger's a*se. they had their 'hybrids' and 'nationals at the convention. they are just plain box jointed boxes with side rails tacked on top and bottom, they look very poorly made, heavy and the timber quality was suspect - I bet they don't burn very well either. a pity I didn't have my barge pole with me, but then again i wouldn't have used it :D. but it seemed the story with much they had on offer - wax moulds looked shoddy and rough. I know their handy bucket pouring stand is only of use if you have a mahhosive tank as it holds the bucket upended inside the tank only thing I like with them are the eezy beezy queen rearing stuff.

Thanks for all your comments.

Sorted now, found a source of 2nd Quality Big Ts.

I bought 10 super plastic foundation sheets from Mann Lake at the Convention.

It was awkward, but not impossible, to fit their sheets into National super frames.

Likewise, I'm trying plastic super foundation this year. But I got mine from Thornes and it fitted into the frames nice and easy.

I have bought both brood and super boxes of M L. The price was right and the quality is better than Maisy and Easypet. I was too slow in purchasing from Ts so have no comparison.

Mike

I have bought both brood and super boxes of M L. The price was right and the quality is better than Maisy and Easypet. I was too slow in purchasing from Ts so have no comparison.

Mike

I'm surprised at Maisys....I thought they would be good!

Easeepet!!!

They are 'quality', but definitely need an extra descriptor in front. Possibly 'rubbish' might be appropriate, although there will be some that know no better....Buy cheap, buy twice.

I'm surprised at Maisys....I thought they would be good!

All my shallows are Maisies and broods all big T's never had an issue with either - in fact both of their 'second quality' boxes this year are of particular good quality. as the prices are virtually the same what would you go for? cheap (as in workmanship etc) tatty bodged up foreign imports or reasonably priced more than acceptable quality and workmanship home produced kit?
And looking at the ready built stuff they had on offer at the convention they will fall apart in short order

I have supers from both each of Thornes and the £12 one from MannLake, and there's hardly any difference in the assembled boxes, the only major difference being each have different frame runners.
I did notice that the boxes from ML even had slight differences in detail between them, the frame runners were cut one box with a chamfer, one flat.
Maybe ML are using multiple suppliers, which may give variations in what is delivered, but at the price ML is the current market beater.

MannLake's national (NOT the hybrid one) is built to the same design as a standard national, with the jointed lifting bars and recessed side walls.
Having unjointed lifting bars I suspect the hybrid may not be as robust as the standard national.

Not sure what their hybrid national is based on, or even what size it is (they're not clear on that on the website) so I avoided it.
They do specify their foundation as "national hybrid", so I suspect it might be a different size to "national".
Does anyone know for sure to clarify?

M and T make good boxes, even their seconds are good quality. £25 for a 14x12 BB is a price that will surpass any DIY enthusiast making their own.

Not sure what their hybrid national is based on, or even what size it is (they're not clear on that on the website) so I avoided it.
They do specify their foundation as "national hybrid", so I suspect it might be a different size to "national".
Does anyone know for sure to clarify?

The "hybrid national" has the same (square) footprint as a real national.
So it can use National floors, QX, supers, covers, clearers, and roof.

But apart from the footprint, the brood box is nothing like a national. Short lugs and AFAIK the frame (and box) depth is the same as a medium Langstroth - it does NOT use DN foundation.

So its more like a 3/4 height Commercial than anything 'National'.

I thought I had enough supers last week but obviously not which was a shame as JBM could have picked some up for me from Maisemore's, so I bit the bullet and ordered the deal ones from Mann Lake, £12.50 each for the "deal".
I have to say they were spot on, Cedar Wood, no bits missing, no chunks or splintered wood, just a few knots and fitted together with tight joints,
Customer services were excellent, a phone call and text to say they had been dispatched and again on delivery.

Back