Thorne honey warmer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Is this thermostat in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

I have just bought it 2nd hand and the website doesn't say, don't want to over cook any honey and I don't have another thermometer to test it with.

Attachments

• 20210910_164524.jpg
    20210910_164524.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi

It's centigrade, but mine isn't hugely accurate so recommend you get a thermometer and start low and keep a note of the temperatures it actually achieves.

Simon

Is this thermostat in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

I have just bought it 2nd hand and the website doesn't say, don't want to over cook any honey and I don't have another thermometer to test it with.
The UK switched to Celsius in 1962. I doubt your thermostat is that old.

I know that but given the dial goes up to 120, it's a relevant question.

I have posted this before, but for those that missed it. Exercise caution when ever honey is heated, it can and does cause food safety issues. The higher than typical specific heat capacity of honey, coupled with viscosity can cause localised superheating and the production of hydroymethylfurfural (which is broadly recognised as a precursor molecule in forming acrylamide - linked as cancer causing in non-human studies). Any reducing sugar can generate hmf, including glucose and fructose (aka honey). When we have to heat honey (commercially) we always utilise indirect heat and active scraped surface agitation to mitigate localised superheating as much as possible, this is hard to emulate in the ‘hobby’ environment. We would avoid heating pure honey above 30'C average. To heat honey in any way takes you outside the honey regs and into mainstream food safety legislation where there is a considerably higher knowledge / due-diligence burden expected and requirement for the demonstration of food safety compliance via HACCP. Even within the honey regs heating is referenced S1.8d & HMF limits are referenced S1.Criteria:6. These crude references are there to telegraph a cross reference for less informed compliance officers and prompt compliance escalation.

Latest posts

Back