Thorn Poly Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magwat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 poly 1 wood
Has anyone seen or had any experience of Thorn poly nucs that have appeared in their 2014 catalogue? I was hoping to see one at the WBKA convention but didn't get there & it's hard to get an idea of what they're like from the white blob catalogue picture. I have a couple of Pains ones but, like many, I detest the integral feeder & don't use it but am happy with them in most other respects. I'm wondering if these new offerings might be a better option.

They are another option, that's about all I'd say. More expensive IIRC, other than that they seemed ok. I never use the integral feeder, it's no big deal I just bung it up.

Am I the only one who likes (and uses a lot) the internal feeder? The bees build a lot of brace in there but it’s easy to scrape off. I cut a little square out of the corner of the clear plastic cover so I can pour in feed from the edge with minimal disturbance. Cheers Roger B.

Am I the only one who likes (and uses a lot) the internal feeder? The bees build a lot of brace in there but it’s easy to scrape off. I cut a little square out of the corner of the clear plastic cover so I can pour in feed from the edge with minimal disturbance. Cheers Roger B.

I reckon you are in a teeny weeny minority. I find it a pain and would rather it wasn't there.
Cazza

I reckon you are in a teeny weeny minority. I find it a pain and would rather it wasn't there.
Cazza

I doubt it, I think most users have just got on and used it without an issue, its not my favourite bit of design but I use the feeder mostly trouble free on a good number of these nucs, I'll probably try Rogerb's cut out corner for quicker feeding too.

Out of desperation, I used the feeder in the poly nuclei. My bees seem to refrain from swimming in it. Unlike the Paynes poly feeder (new design) for the poly hive. I have lost hundreds of bees in that.

I doubt it, I think most users have just got on and used it without an issue, its not my favourite bit of design but I use the feeder mostly trouble free on a good number of these nucs, I'll probably try Rogerb's cut out corner for quicker feeding too.

The cut out square idea is a nice one. I use an eke with a feeder over a cut out hole in the middle, rather than the inbuilt one. No drowned bees then.
Cazza

When I used the feeder in the nuc it ended up with a couple of inches of drowned bees at the bottom even though I had put some twigs & stalks in. I couldn't empty the sloppy mess while there were bees in the nuc so it fermented nicely until I was ready to transfer the bees out. After taking out the frames I tried to pour the stuff out but not much came out & then when I had to knock the remaining bees from the nuc I ended up with fermented bee/syrup mix down my front in in my boots. I decided the feeder was too much hassle & haven't tried to use it again. (I use the eke, a homemade correx feeder board & 4pt round rapid feeder instead). I had intended to try & make a wooden insert, like a frame feeder, to go into the feeder compartment but it tapers towards the bottom so it's not that straightforward but still on the drawing board.

Hi Magwat, most of mine came with a stick of wood in the bottom to stop the bees from drowning (looks like the base rail of a frame, and that’s what those that came without now have), I have lost a few bees in them, but the worst I’ve had amounted to about a one bee thick layer at the bottom. Cheers Roger B

If you don't use homemade syrup the feeders are fine, commercial syrups will stay fresh for a long time if not consumed.
just make sure you have the floats in place.

Using an eke with a round rapid feeder and the internal feeder closed off is by far the best solution tho.

Latest posts

Back