Thermomite: a new weapon against varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
UK company with a track record in phase change materials worked on a concept of thermotherapy with beekeepers and a hive manufacturer to produce a heat mat to treat varroa. Research looks thorough and there's plenty to read. Demo at the upcoming Beekeeping Show in Telford on 25 February 2023.

Last edited:
So basically they're using the reusable handwarmer pouches?

Appears to be something very similar. Perhaps a different medium inside that releases heat at the temperature they require. Feels a bit hit-and-miss to me, I have to admit. If heating the colony genuinely works I think I'd prefer something like an electric heating loop with a controller to measure the temperature and turn the heating off after the appropriate amount of time. Obviously that requires power, but carrying enough pouches to treat an entire apiary might not be that practical, so power might be required for that, too.

Possibly it's not ideal that they say the ambient temperature should be above 15°C either. That may well preclude treatment around the time when "winter" bees are starting be raised.

Need to read more of the detail.

James

sounds more like April 1st

It does a bit, I can't deny. It's irritating that they reference papers supporting some of their assertions without giving full details so it's not straightforward to look them up. I couldn't find the one they use most which certainly gives me that kind of "snake oil" feel. Perhaps it may be more fully identified in the papers they have on their site.

I also notice that they say it's not suitable for double brood and that treatment may be problematic in windy/rainy conditions. An electrical system with a feedback loop would probably work better there too. And if it isn't suitable for double brood, does that mean it isn't suitable for times when there are supers on the hive too (which may well push all viable treatment times into a period when the ambient temperature is less than 15°C)?

On the other hand, I don't reckon it would be very hard at all to build something to try for oneself.

James

Having read most of the papers on the site, I'm left with the feeling that whilst it may be a very effective form of treatment, it's also quite inconvenient and unsuited to large numbers of hives. I can't really see it catching on in this form. Perhaps some treatment based on the same ideas might be more workable where ambient temperatures are higher and sunny days occur more reliably.

James

it may be a very effective form of treatment, it's also quite inconvenient and unsuited to large numbers of hives. I can't really see it catching on in this form
If it proves to be so, it may be most effective in spring before supers go on, for hived swarms or splits, in late summer when boxes are reduced to one, in nucs at any time, for those who wish to avoid fumigation or chemical treatment, and for the majority of UK beekeepers who have few colonies.

Back