The Fear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some on here obviously have both rose tinted glasses and no hands on experience to base their comments on.

My first bees looking back from a very different perspective were little shits. I wouldn't give them house room now.

Working with really quiet bees is such a pleasure and of course they produce no honey as only the hot bees achieve that eh? So my 230 lbs of comb honey from one hive never could have happened except awkwardly it did.

Vicious bees need either killing or requeening. And trust me they do exist. When your head is being hammered because you have pounds of bees on your veil trying to sting you then just maybe the penny will forcefully drop. Though I really do hope you never have the misfortune to have it happen or see an animal die from your actions, or lack of.

PH

I have an entrance block in and the snow had dislodged it a bit, I was just straightening it up and brushing a few dead bees from the landing platform when one of the door guards surprised me. I know I should have worn a veil but I thought the freezing temperature would keep them from kamikaze attacks
:winner1st:
Beagle, the vast majority of beekeepers have been there and done just that!

I keep a hat with a veil in the glovebox of the Rover for just that kind of event.
Your bees are probably not particularly vicious or defensive, neither are mine.

Now wasps and those tree bumbles are always a bit on the nasty side, and how many other swarm collectors have been requested to remove them mistaken for bees from :calmdown: !!

Noting weather conditions, time of day, degree of flow (or shortage), etc all helped to make things easier to understand their response.

Wearing two layers is another ploy to prevent stings. Clean suits and gloves (free of previous stings) is also a way of preventing further attacks. Perfumes can also be a no-no where bees are concerned, as well as as sweat/body odour which might give them reason to think you are not a welcome visitor or are already fearing an attack!

It is surprising how better bees ‘behave’ when one is calm and confident while inspecting. Rushing is not the way to keep them calm.

Like many replies above, I've had really dangerous bees (now requeened) and Oliver's advice is spot on. Double layers of gloves with top layer smooth to prevent them hanging on, boiler suit under bee-suit and double hoods and good boots. You'll move slowly and appear calm. As it becomes obvious that the bees are not getting through both layers you'll relax. If need be you can walk away slowly. Always think where you can go to if the bees are having a bad day.
It is essential to wash the outer clothing and veils bewteen visits to the hive otherwise you're literally inviting attention.
Yes, I do get stung and puff up like a balloon, but I love my bees and hope never to have to give up beekeeping.

Back